Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

90mm Graflex optar lens

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: 90mm Graflex optar lens Reply with quote

I have a Graflex Optar 90mm lens serial number 287310. The shutter works but there are no aperture settings. Also there are 2 screws on the side of the wider part of the lens. The question is this: Is this lens a camera lens or an enlarger lens? I hope someone can help me. Thank you.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a photo? The enlarger lenses I'm familiar with for 35mm work have aperture settings but no shutter, as the exposure timing is usually controlled through an external device that the enlarger is plugged into in the darkroom (mine is a Time-o-Light), and runs on the order of one second through a minute. I've never seen a lens-shutter combo with no apertures!
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What shutter is the lens in? Compur shutters use an aperture scale attached with two screws along the bottom of the shutter face plate with the speed marking and index point on the top.
f stops are a function of the lens focal length divided by the aperture opening diameter as viewed through the lens from the front.
f stop=focal length/viewed aperture opening
viewed aperture opening=lens focal length/desired f stop number
A 90mm Optar/Raptar taking lens is f6.8
90/6.8=13.235mm aperture opening as viewed through the front of the lens. Smallest aperture will be f32 or f45 for this lens.
One can easily make a scale for the lens/shutter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: