Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown Graphic body release problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Crown Graphic body release problem Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have recently purchased a Crown Graphic off ebay, everything is working properly except the body shutter release which is extremely stiff. However if I press down on the release cable (the arm that presses down on the shutter release on the lens), the body shutter release then becomes easy to operate requiring very little force, which leads me to think that there is something wrong with the cable release.

Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone know how to correct it?

Cheers,

45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crowns are usually covered in the Speed Graphic Help section.
Click on the Search link, put body release in the term box, select search for all the terms, select Speed Graphic Help from the Fourms dropdown, then click Search. Results will be 153 matches which may or may not be relevant.

Corrosion sets in on the cable and its housing resulting is sluggish operation.
The bellows have to be removed to access the cable connection at the body release, not an easy task.

Put a drop, small straight pin head size, or two of light weight oil between the body release and its innermost mount frame when the release is fully depressed then operate several times. Apply a drop to the actuator at the front standard and operate it several times.

TriFlow works perfectly for camera lubrication.
http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Tri-Flow_Superior_Drip_Lubricant.html

What format is your camera?
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the stiff body release is a common problem on Graphics. On both my Pacemakers (2x3 Crown and 4x5 Speed) it's so stiff that tripping it would probably shake the camera, so I just don't use it. It's way easier using your thumb to trip the lever on the lens board.
I've never handled a Pacemaker when it was new. The trouble might lie in the cable that connects the body release (dirt, kinks, etc.) to the shutter, but I've never bothered to look into it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 45PSS, just gave it ago, and it works perfectly now!!! Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!! It's a 4x5 crown
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This service manual will cover the servicing of your camera even if it is a side rangefinder.
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/servicemanual.pdf
smithdoor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Crown Graphic body release problem Reply with quote

A new one is stiff Look to see if was used a lot you may be a lucky one like new.
I purchase mind new took some time

Dave

10980100 wrote:
Hi everyone, I have recently purchased a Crown Graphic off ebay, everything is working properly except the body shutter release which is extremely stiff. However if I press down on the release cable (the arm that presses down on the shutter release on the lens), the body shutter release then becomes easy to operate requiring very little force, which leads me to think that there is something wrong with the cable release.

Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone know how to correct it?

Cheers,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: