Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My father's Crown Graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tclune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: My father's Crown Graphic Reply with quote

My father was in advertising in the early 1950s and had a Crown Graphic that he used to take photos for publication with. He had a pretty complete set-up, which I have photographed here. I would love for the camera to get use, preferably in a place like a museum. I would be very happy to give it for free to the right home, but I have no idea how to find such a place. The camera needs some refurbishing -- the shutter seems to have gotten gunky enough that it fires more slowly than it should and it needs a general cleaning. But it is a truly wonderful camera that deserves a better fate than wasting away in my back room. Does anyone know how the old girl can receive the treatment she desrves? TIA

--Tom Clune
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a pretty nice set-up, Tom. Crown, plus flash handle, plus Weston meter, plus Graflarger. Seems to be in really nice condition too. All have value to users and getting that shutter overhauled is a $65 - $135 investment. I don't know how much interest a museum may have since it is fairly run-of-the-mill Graphic gear. But I've never asked. I would think that you could sell real that gear easy if that is your desire. There are many who would love to own such gear and would use it too.
tclune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Brian. Thanks for replying. I really don't want to sell it. I think it would please dad to be part of some sort of more public use. I learned on that camera, and it is certainly a pedagogical dream. Maybe a photography school would be able to explain paralax and the like using the ground glass and adjustments of the bed. Double-extending the bellows certainly takes the mystery out of macro photography! It just seems that something of that sort would make my dear departed dad smile.
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your desire. Honoringyour father is a wonderful thing to do. Since you are in MA (my home state) ahve you considered approaching a museum like the Charles River Museum of Innovation? http://www.crmi.org/
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the serial number of the camera?
tclune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianShaw wrote:
I understand your desire. Honoringyour father is a wonderful thing to do. Since you are in MA (my home state) ahve you considered approaching a museum like the Charles River Museum of Innovation? http://www.crmi.org/

I'm aware of that museum. It sounds like a good idea. I'll contact them and see if they are interested. Thanks.
tclune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:

965120. Why?
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

965120 is #326 of order number 21795 for 1500 Pacemaker Crown Graphic cameras listed to be built on 4-21-1950. The next order for Crowns was 5-17-1950.

The camera has the less common Hugo Meyer side rangefinder. The Kalart side rangefinder was the most common one in use.
tclune

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
ltcray

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: 5x7 Crown Graphic Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:

My old 5x7's serial number is 960772. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I just put it on Craigs List *******.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My old 5x7's serial number is 960772

That dates to a 1948-1949 4x5 Crown Graphic.
ltcray

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
Quote:
My old 5x7's serial number is 960772

That dates to a 1948-1949 4x5 Crown Graphic.

Thanks for your help!
I just listed it in the Greenville, SC Craigs List
http://greenville.craigslist.org/atq/3713064404.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: