Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issue with Pacemaker Speed Graphic Rangefinder (top-mounted)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnMeadows

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Issue with Pacemaker Speed Graphic Rangefinder (top-mounted) Reply with quote

I just bought my first 4x5 Speed Graphic (Pacemaker with the top-mounted Graphic Rangefinder). I received it last night, and I have noticed an issue with the rangefinder -- while secondary image moves, no matter how far in or out I rack the lens, the two images never overlap -- the secondary image is always stuck out to the right a couple of diameters, if that makes any sense.

The rest of the camera is in very nice condition, so I don't know what to do: is this a symptom of an issue that can be addressed by someone who is not a skilled repairman? I am trying to decide between sending it back (and getting stuck with the return shipping) or asking for a discount and then trying to get the rangefinder repaired.

Suggestions would be most welcome! Does anyone know any Speed Graphic technicians in the Toronto/Southern Ontario area who do repairs?

Thanks in advance!

"Yes I can still get film for my camera!"
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. is the cam properly seated in the slot? it may have slipped out during shipping.
2. what is the number on the cam, P? What lens is on the camera?
3. http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_4.html covers the use and operation of the camera.

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/TRFService.pdf covers the set up and servicing of the rangefinder.

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/servicemanual.pdf covers servicing of the complete camera.

Adjustment will be discussed once cam installation and operation are correct.
JohnMeadows

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response! The lens on the camera is the Kodak Ektar 152mm f 4.5

I will gingerly open the rangefinder up this evening to get the other info.

Thanks again!!

John

JohnMeadows

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: The plot thickens Reply with quote

I just heard back from the seller of this camera -- it turns out that contrary to the listing info the rangefinder/cam was not set up fo the 152mm lens, so I guess I will need to find/fashion a cam . . .

JohnMeadows

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: One last question Reply with quote

Sorry, one last question: if the wrong cam is used, would the symptom be merely the focus on the ground glass not matching that on the rangefinder, or could one see what I am seeing, which is the RF never lining up at all?

Thanks again for your help!

45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinity should be in coincidence with the rails fully reward to 1/8 inch forward from fully retracted.
The cam list shows the cam numbers and the optically measured focal length that they were made for.
http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/top-rangefinder-cams.html
As the lens is focused from infinity to closer distances the focusing error between the rangefinder and the film plane will increase proportionally to the difference between the focal length of the lens and the focal length the cam was cut for.
A P38, P8, P9, or P10 will work for a 152mm marked lens with focusing errors in the 15 foot or closer range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: