Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First time using flash bulbs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedGraphicMan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: First time using flash bulbs Reply with quote

Hello,

I will be attending a LF meetup and would like to take a few shots using
my Speed and my Heiland Synchronar with 5" reflector and some #5 bulbs.

Because I have so few bulbs, I unfortunately cannot test flash sync.

My lens is a 135mm Graflex Optar 4.7 with m/f/x shutter.

I assume that I can connect handle to trigger the solenoid and rely on the lens to sync the flash via (M)?

I.E. I will have a cord go from the Heiland battery case to the solenoid.
And another cord from the shutter sync to the flash tube.

Am I thinking this out correctly?
Are there any PDF manuals for the Heiland Sychronar?

Also what would be a good working GN for the #5 bayonet bulbs in a satin reflector?

Thanks!
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.flickr.com/groups/graflex/discuss/72157603809355617/
might be of some help.

You may not be able to trip the shutter with the Synchronar and have the shutter fire the flash bulb. Take a spent bulb and wire a flashlight bulb into its socket to use as a test bulb or connect the leads of an analog volt meter to the flash bulb socket's contacts to test the configuration. Digital volt meters do not respond quick enough to use.

The light bulb will light briefly or the volt meter will show a brief pulse when power is applied to the flash socket.

An electronic flash connected to the shutter flash sync with the sync set to M; aperture wide open; point shutter and flash at a white wall. While looking at the rear of the lens trip the shutter- the light from the flash will be falling off and the shutter blades will be visible in the lens opening.
djacob372

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the handle will trip the flashbulb and the solenoid on the shutter at the same time--you don't need to use the sync from the shutter.

Just make sure to adjust your solenoid so it trips the shutter at the bottom end of it's movement to account for the flashbulb ramp up time.

You also may want to shoot at a lower shutter speed until your confident your sync is good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: