Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing mirror lever 3x4 super d

View previous topic :: View next topic  
erik g

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Removing mirror lever 3x4 super d Reply with quote

I've got a 3x4 super d that has a slipping shutter wind key. I want to take the escapement plate off and as I understand it I have to remove the mirror lever first. I think I'm clear about the tapered pin, but it would be great to see a picture of it first. Once I do pound it out, will I be able to put it back? Any tricks to getting the winding key indexed properly? Am I mad to try this myself? I want to do it right, and not be the guy taking a grinder to it!

Thanks for any help!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent you an email with the Graflex SLR service instructions.

Another member made a post a while back about using a pencil point butane torch to heat the end of the mirror shaft. This should break any corrosion between the pin and shaft making it easier to remove the pin. Applying penetrating oil to the shaft end and allowing it to work for an hour or so may help also.

The pin is 3/32 at the top and 1/16 at the bottom. The lever and shaft are bored accordingly so the pin will only go in and come out one way. The large end of the pin is toward the top of the camera so the camera has to be turned upside down to remove the pin. I use a piece of pine 1x2 to support the shaft while driving the pin out.

When reinstalling the pin it will only go in 2/3 to 3/4 of the distance of the lever and shaft. It will have to be pressed in the rest of the way. A pair of slip joint pliers is all that is necessary to press the pin in fully.
erik g

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the info.

I was finally able to get some time and get the tools together to remove the tapered pin on the mirror lever. It wasn't easy, but I was successful and I got the wind plate free. Unfortunately I now see what the problem is: the wind key spins within the center of the large gear. I assume it is not supposed to turn without also turning the large gear. I can hold the gear with my thumb and I can continue to turn the wind key. That is exactly what happens when I place the plate back onto the camera, the key spins but does not turn the shutter shaft gear. Hopefully I've explained this correctly. I'm not sure what my options are at this point. Spot weld? Find a dead super D for parts? Thank you for any advice.

Erik
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent you an email regarding this.

Is there a place where the key turns easy while holding the gear or is it the same tension for a full turn?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: