Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RB Graflex 5x7 pedigree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Massey Jones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: RB Graflex 5x7 pedigree Reply with quote

Our museum has an RB Auto Graflex (Ser # 25923) in the artifact collection. I work alongside the curator, giving advice on photographic equipment.

The camera is fitted with a Premo film holder, which I believe (as measured) holds 5x7 film. The camera hood has a fur top.
So, it would make it an RB 5x7 Auto Graflex.
A photo of it appears in GHQ Vol 12, Isssue 4, pg 6 top left.

This is where I am stumped and need expert advice.
I am looking for the EXACT model, date of manufacture and any other specifics; so that we can better identify it more fully to the public while on exhibit.

Research has indicated that it is built 1905-1925 and perhaps more specifically 1912-1914.

The camera was ised to photograph crime scenes and other functions, until replaced with Speed Graphics, which we also have in the collection.
I am fully familiar with the Speed Graphic and accessories, having used them over 30 years as a military photographer, starting in 1951.

Many thanks.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. http://graflex.org/graflex-products-list.html does not list a RB Auto in 5x7 format. It does list a 5x7 Auto. RB stands for Revolving Back in Graflex nomenclature.
2. The table that has the different speed combinations will have the model of the camera on it. The table may be attached to the body or the view hood.
3. The format of the camera is determined by measuring the film opening at the rear of the camera, or the plate/film opening of a holder that fits properly. The camera opening is best.
4. Buried in the posts on this board is the confirmation that Graflex did not record serial numbers until they were purchased by Eastman Kodak in 1905 ( http://graflex.org/articles/kingslake/ ) or shortly thereafter. When they did start recording the serial numbers they did not include any date until 1923 and then it was only the date the entry was made in the list.

The serial number date info from previous posts on this board is available at http://www.southbristolviews.com/ > graflex exchange > serial number info > "not the serial number book list but" . 25xxx is from around 1911.
5. The best source of information other than this site is the book " A Review of Graflex by Richard P. Paine ( http://www.amazon.com/REVIEW-OF-GRAFLEX-AMERICAN-CAMERAS/dp/B002B5HADC ). It shows up on ebay from time to time.

6. To post a picture on this site upload it to an image hosting site and then link to or embed the photo hare using BB code.
Massey Jones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks.

I am extremely happy with your answer
And it will be noted for reference at the museum.
I will also look at the links you sent, some that I have accessed already.

There, I found most of everything I needed to know about the camera already. You have to believe me when I state
The RB is for sure a 5x7 model; I measured it and can also tell by the film holder, having handled hundreds of 4x5 film holders (as well as Grafmatics and Graflex Film Pack Adapters) in my 30 years as a military photographer.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pre Kodak days cameras were dated by someone with the camera and original sales receipt.

There have been some rare "one of a kind" custom builds or prototypes inquired about that are not listed in the Major Product List.

Member/moderator Les is the resident authority of the site and his previous posts are the basis for most of this information.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This catalog
http://piercevaubel.com/cam/catalogs/1914graflexlp885.htm
is the earliest one I can find that lists the Auto Graflex, pages 16-19, and the RB Auto, pages 22-24.
See
http://piercevaubel.com/cam/
for more catalogs.
bbjorkum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance you could post a photo of the actual camera in your collection, including a photo of the back of the camera with measurements?

Regards, Bjarte
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: