Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Graphic - Optical Viewfinder - Parallax correction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajmiller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Speed Graphic - Optical Viewfinder - Parallax correction Reply with quote

Can someone please confirm where the various markings on the parallax correction on the optical viewfinder should be read from? In the manual I read it as the various settings click into place - they don't appear to on mine.
Are they supposed to be aligned with the top of the viewfinder to be correct?

And for infinity where should the small hole be?

thanks for any help.

Tony
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tony, At the top of the viewfinder there is a groove at the centre. At infinity the infinity symbol should line up with this groove (wheel turned all the way counterclockwise until it stops), then turn the wheel clockwise until the distance marker you want is lined up with that same groove. The click stops are often worn out.
The parallax correction is pretty rough, though, and I find it easier to use the sports finder and leave some room for cropping. The sports finder also has parallax correction marks. For infinity the finder is pulled all the way up, then there are marks for 15 ft. and 6 ft. Just line them up with the top of the front standard.
ajmiller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Billy - just the info I needed.
Mine seems to be set up wrong. If I turn it counter clockwise until it stops the infinity mark is at the bottom as in the top picture above.
I presume it can be adjusted?

I'm a new owner of a Speed and just finding my way around so I'll probably end up using the sports finder in time.

thanks for your reply.

Tony
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a set screw on the rim. You can see it in your photo (level with the infinity mark on the second photo). This may be loose; try tightening it just a smidge. It controls the detent, IIRC.

BTW, I have found the optical finder to be almost totally worthless (sorry to be so blunt) for the intended purpose. The frame finder works much better for me on my Century. YRMV!
ajmiller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:

BTW, I have found the optical finder to be almost totally worthless (sorry to be so blunt) for the intended purpose. The frame finder works much better for me on my Century. YRMV!

No worries - be as blunt as you like!

thanks for your help - the small screw seems stuck so I may just leave the viewfinder as it is. I'll do some research on using the frame finder.

Tony
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, I just looked at my optical finder. There are two set screws, both visible in your photos. I had just remembered the one; so much for aging memory. Maybe the other set screw will move. You could try a penetrating oil (plastic compatible, to be on the safe side) and see whether you can get the stuck one to move. Somehow I feel that these screws, when properly adjusted, hold the key to solving the problem.
ajmiller

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry - I may have a go but I'm out tomorrow with the Grafmatic back loaded and the frame finder at the ready.
(I'm preaching to the converted here but these cameras are too much fun!)

Also looking at making a mask for the frame finder as I have a 6x7 back I'm keen to use as well.
I've measured it up following some useful info posted by 45PSS on here so just have to make it.

cheers for the help.

Tony
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
ajmiller

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 45PSS - useful schematic.

Tony
coloron

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe your viewfinder has the same problem as the one on my Century. Upon removing it from the camera and removing the two screws, I discovered that the sleeve barrel, the ball and the spring were missing. As a consequence the eyepiece just sort of spins freely within the limits of the groove in the main housing. The problem with infinity being at the bottom is that the "slide parallex" is installed 180 degrees out of whack.
It still works, so to speak, but there are no detents at the distance markings.l
ajmiller

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks coloron - I've had to send the camera to a repairer as there were issues with the rangefinder which I couldn't resolve. It's newly bought on eBay and the buyer was less than honest about the condition unfortunately.

Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: