Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home Portrait Graflex SLR

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Home Portrait Graflex SLR Reply with quote

Just got a very good condition Home Portrait. Fellow who sold it to me, instructed only to use on low tension as it is old. Wondered if there was anyone who could put a new curtain in this and get going near to new.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do.

Why do you think it needs a new curtain?
Coating the curtain with Pledge Natural Beauty (yellow aerosol can) and allowing to soak over night will soften it. If the curtain is dry cracked it will need replacement but might be salvageable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not positive needs one, he told me not to go past tension level 2.

Also I read if it broke now, harder to replace, thought be more confident with new screen in there, not have to worry it is going to break and could go to higher tension. Have not had any experience with this camera yet, perhaps going to 3 and 4 does not really do much. Will shoot some film in morning and see how it goes.

Also where I could find a 7x7 fresnel to go under viewing screen.

Thanks. Just joined this forum, been shooting a great deal with super d, and looking forward to shooting with this home portrait

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much pledge do you put on it, till wet?

That make it stronger
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_14.html

The curtain (bellows, body leather) drys out with age. Many of these old cameras have sat on a display shelf sometimes in direct sunlight.

The curtain is cotton cloth with a rubber coating that was originally .010 inch thick approximately.

The lemon oil and bees wax in the pledge soften the rubber and cotton cloth making it more flexible.

The back is attached by 12 screws, 4 oval head (2 each side) and 8 flat head (4 top and 4 bottom) that can be accessed when the back is rotated between portrait and landscape position.

Remove the back and saturate the curtain then wind and saturate the next section until the entire length has been saturated. Let it sit for at least an hour to overnight depending on how brittle the curtain is.
Run the curtain down to closed after O then place a hand under the back side of the curtain and wipe it down a section at a time. The curtain is most likely to tear at an aperture opening next to the aperture stay (stiffener).
Tony Lovell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Softening the rubber and cloth curtains Reply with quote

I understand the formula in the lemon pledge spray has changed, can anyone advise on an alternative please
Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: