Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex.org & the SOPA act.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex Journal and GHQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1banjo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Graflex.org & the SOPA act. Reply with quote

hey all I got this to day when trying to come here

Warning

Graflex.org may have to shut down due to the impending passing of the SOPA act.

Read about SOPA at one of the following sites:
•EFF.org
•Stanford Law Review
•Forbes Magazine
•AmericanCensorship.org.

Proceed to the Graflex.org Helpboard.

SO what is going on or is it justinternet explorer giving me CRAP agean!!!
1banjo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I just look at •EFF.org & got this

Home
About
Our Work
Deeplinks Blog
Press Room
Take Action
Shop
Internet Blacklist Legislation

The "Stop Online Piracy Act"/"E-PARASITE Act" (SOPA) and "The PROTECT IP Act" (PIPA) are the latest in a series of bills which would create a procedure for creating (and censoring) a blacklist of websites. These bills are updated versions of the “Combating Online Infringements and Counterfeits Act" (COICA), which was previously blocked in the Senate. Although the bills are ostensibly aimed at reaching foreign websites dedicated to providing illegal content, their provisions would allow for removal of enormous amounts of non-infringing content including political and other speech from the Web.

The various bills define different techniques for blocking “blacklisted” sites. Each would interfere with the Internet's domain name system (DNS), which translates names like "www.eff.org" or "www.nytimes.com" into the IP addresses that computers use to communicate. SOPA would also allow rightsholders to force payment processors to cut off payments and advertising networks to cut ties with a site simply by sending a notice.

These bills are targeted at "rogue" websites that allow indiscriminate piracy, but use vague definitions that could include hosting websites such as Dropbox, MediaFire, and Rapidshare; sites that discuss piracy such as pirate-party.us, p2pnet, Torrent Freak, torproject.org, and ZeroPaid; as well as a broad range of sites for user-generated content, such as SoundCloud, Etsy, and Deviant Art. Had these bills been passed five or ten years ago, even YouTube might not exist today — in other words, the collateral damage from this legislation would be enormous.

There are already laws and procedures in place for taking down sites that violate the law. These acts would allow the Attorney General, and even individuals, to create a blacklist to censor sites when no court has found that they have infringed copyright or any other law.

NOW WHAT WOULD MAKE THIS sit be one to be blacklist & to be block

DO WE NEED HELP!????!
C. Henry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banjo;

I get the same thing with Firefox so it is not Internet Explorer acting up on you!
I find that having that "warning" pop up every time I try to go back to the index annoying to say the least.
I suspect that "SOPA" is another bit of "Big Brother knows best" attitude of the "Elitist" politicians who think all of us in "fly over country" are so stupid that we must be subjected to total custodial care by them!!

C. Henry
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, your enemy isn't elitist politicians, it is people trying to find ways to enforce copyright.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex Journal and GHQ Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: