Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multi Camera Flash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEFF MORFIT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Multi Camera Flash Reply with quote

Is it possible to use a single Graflite flash unit with two cameras at the same time? I know that on a number of ocassions O. Winston Link used two or even three cameras set-up at different angles to record one scence.

Jeff
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://graflex.org/flash/o-winston-link.html

O. Winston Link made a lot of if not all his flash gear. It would be easy to set up two or more cameras at different positions, open the shutters on T then fire the strobe or bulb flash independently or with another camera. The total time the camera(s) shutters were open on T would need to be a few stops below the flash exposure to prevent unwanted ambient exposure. An assistant or two would be helpful.

One could make a Y connector that 2 or more cameras shutter sync terminals connect to that plugs into the flash. As long as all shutters flash sync are mechanical there should be no problem.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff;

If both cameras have solenoid operated shutters it should be possible to connect the two solenoids in parallel and trigger them both synchronized with one flash unit.
From what I recall hearing, O. Winston Link when using multiple cameras had an assistant at each camera open the shutters on bulb or time just before he fired the flash array, then close the shutters after the flash array fired.

C. Henry
JEFF MORFIT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Multi Camera Flash Reply with quote

Looks as if Paramount Cords is going to get some more business from me very soon. They always do an excellent job on sync cords.
JEFF MORFIT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: MULTI CAMERA FLASH Reply with quote

Would I be able to use a Y-type cord with two bi-post sockets and a household plug to the Graflite? I currently have only one 135mm lens that is solenoid equipped.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff;

It may be possible to connect things up so that the "Slave" camera's shutter (the one with the solenoid) is tripped by the flash gun and have the other camera fire the flash as the "Master" in this setup.
The "Master" camera's sync terminals would connect to the "Shutter"outlet on the flash unit, the solenoid on the "Slave" camera would connect (with a separate cord) to the "solenoid" outlet on the flash gun. The sync terminals on the "Slave" camera would not be connected to anything. Set the selector switch (if there is one) on the flash gun to "N".
I have not tried this but if I understand the wiring of the flash gun correctly from what I read in the Graflite Instruction Manual, it should work.

C. Henry
JEFF MORFIT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: MULTI CAMERA FLASH Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the advice, C Henry. I will give it a shot, no pun intended there, sometime this weekend once everything settles down to a dull roar after Christmas. First I need to get up off of my lazy you-know-what, and refill all of my film holders.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/GrafliteManual.pdf
is a copy of the Graflite manual if you do not have one.

At the bottom of manual page 10 (pdf 12) is a comment about the batteries and to check them regularly. Adding more batteries to a case or reducing them will change the solenoid synchronization. The same is true for firing more than 1 solenoid with the same case.

The solenoid is a current dependent device. Connecting 2 or more in parallel will increase the current drawn from the battery supply. It may also cause the solenoids to operate quicker than they would if used separately.

Page 15 shows a "hot shot" battery connection. The battery should have a current capacity of at least 7 amps per solenoid in use. The battery voltage should be 3v to 6v.

Test the synchronization once set up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: