Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Film Speed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkscamper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Film Speed Reply with quote

There are many film speeds today for 120 film. Since there are no built-in compensations on the Circo-Flex for film speed, what film speed do you recommend for this camera. Recently, I didn't have a SLR handy to meter the light with a particular film speed set on the SLR. I did some rough justice on the aperture setting and shutter speed based upon years of working with non-metered SLR's and the pictures luckily turned out great. I was using Kodak 160NC. Any recommendatons for outside lighting?
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use ISO 400 film for black & white color for 35mm, 120, and 4"x5". With Sunny 16 that means I am shooting at f/16 at 1/400 or 1/500 second in bright Sun. That gives me higher shutter speeds and better depth of field.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule
Quote:
In photography, the Sunny 16 rule (also known as the Sunny f/16 rule) is a method of estimating correct daylight exposures without a light meter. Apart from the obvious advantage of independence from a light meter, the Sunny 16 rule can also aid in achieving correct exposure of difficult subjects. As the rule is based on incident light, rather than reflected light as with most camera light meters, very bright or very dark subjects are compensated for. The rule serves as a mnemonic for the camera settings obtained on a sunny day using the exposure value (EV) system.

The basic rule is, "On a sunny day set aperture to f/16 and shutter speed to the [reciprocal of the] ISO film speed [or ISO setting] for a subject in direct sunlight."[1] For example:

* On a sunny day and with ISO 100 film / setting in the camera, one sets the aperture to f/16 and the shutter speed to 1/100 or 1/125 second (on some cameras 1/125 second is the available setting nearest to 1/100 second).
* On a sunny day with ISO 200 film / setting and aperture at f/16, set shutter speed to 1/200 or 1/250.
* On a sunny day with ISO 400 film / setting and aperture at f/16, set shutter speed to 1/400 or 1/500.

As with other light readings, shutter speed can be changed as long as the f-number is altered to compensate, e.g. 1/250 second at f/11 gives equivalent exposure to 1/125 second at f/16.

An elaborated form of the Sunny 16 rule is to set shutter speed nearest to the reciprocal of the ISO film speed / setting and f-number according to this table:[2][3]

Aperture Lighting Conditions Shadow Detail
f/22 Snow/Sand Dark with sharp edges
f/16 Sunny Distinct
f/11 Slight Overcast Soft around edges
f/8 Overcast Barely visible
f/5.6 Heavy Overcast No shadows
f/4 Open Shade/Sunset No shadows
Add One Stop Backlighting n/a

I use Kodak Tri-X 400 for black & white and Kodak Portra 400 for color.

Steve
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I shoot Ilford XP2 Super (chromogenic b/w, developed at the photo dealer by C-41, color negative, chemistry) at EI 100, though the film is rated at 400. I find that in my particular circumstances I need more density in the image for scanning on the Epson flatbed. But regardless of other considerations, I would shoot film at various EI ratings, keeping careful notes of what I did, until I found one that worked well for me most of the time. HTH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: