Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heiland Strobonar on a Super Speed Graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bartbob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Heiland Strobonar on a Super Speed Graphic Reply with quote

Found a good buy on a Heiland Strobonar 64 with Graflite clamps but don't know if it's the A model with a vibrator or B with dual transistor pulse network to fire the flash tube. Are there any issues using this speedlight with its sync cord correctly modified to be plugged into the SSG's A (middle) and C (rear) terminals on the body's lower right side?

If it's not a safe thing to do, I'll take off the flash head after it arrives. I'll only use its battery tube and Graflite clamps to mount another speedlight on that will work with my SSG. It's low price makes it worth the battery tube and clamps alone.

Thanks in advance for info,

Bart
Les

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I"ve played with my Futuramic, but I thought the model number was under the chin near the switch.

In either case the SSG can handle it.
1banjo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey bartbob
I like my Honeywell 682s the very best as it uses AA battery
not like some of Honeywell Nic sub C battery that can be hard to find
But I thank that your Heiland Strobonar 64 mite take Ds battery AND
thats would be good!!
I use my 682s on all most all of my cameras

banjo
bartbob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banjo, my first strobe may well have been a 682s; bought in 1961 to use with my Nikon S3 35mm camera. Don't remember for sure but from the pictures I've seen online, it's probably the one. Sold it in 1969.

The 64 does take three D cells; a heavy strobe with regular alkaline or NimH cells. I'll probably use Eveready Titanium's for lighter weight and more oomph; especially if it's the 64A. Can't tell which one it is by the picture on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=380292290961&si=MBt8EYtB6cZYYmvECSUtlH6VZ20%253D&viewitem=

But it's the 3-cell Graflite battery case that comes with the strobe that's my prime interest.

Bart
1banjo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Bart
looks like you got 2 sets of clamps they been going for $15.00 or more
most of the time
its hard to say if it a 64A or B
banjo
bartbob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banjo, I've asked the seller to see which model it is. Also told him how to load the strobe with batteries, turn it on, check the ready light then short the plugged in cord's contacts to see if the flash part's good. It may be dead and usable only as a paper weight. But it'll make a good handle and tube for jury-rigging an old strobe atop it.

I'm now looking for some decent condition Riteway film holders......may have found a few. Also a decent 90 or 100 mm lens to use with the roll film back.

Bart
bartbob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got home from a while away and opened the box with all this stuff in it then checked it out.

The strobe's a 64B so I mumbled a quiet "whoopie" as that's what I'd hoped it would be. The lens has a fine crack across the bottom third but otherwise is in pristine condition. Put three D cells in it then turned it on. Watched the back of the head for a while but no ready light came on. Plugged in the sync cord that came with it then shorted the male PC connector and saw a couple of sparks but no flash. Decided to see if tightening the screw in the sync cord's household plug's head and the darned thing fired. Scared me such that I almost dropped it. "Ah-ha" thought I; "The household plug's got bad wiring and it shorted out." thought I. A close inspection showed that to be the cause. Replaced the sync cord with another, shorted the PC connector and it fired; bright and several times thereafter. It works just fine except the ready light's not working. I might be able to replace it but can live without it.

I noted the extra clamp ring below the top bracket in the picture but didn't know what it was until I checked it out. 'Tis a strap screwed tight to the battery case with a 7/32nds inch hole in it. The only thing I can figure out is that's a holder for a shutter release cable. Put a couple of mine in at they work fine. Such a good idea as I had been thinking about mounting something like that to use when desired.

The Graflite 3-cell battery case checked out good, too.

So I'm quite pleased with my 26 dollar Ebay purchase.
brian d

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently got a 64B too, on mine the ready light comes on promptly
And when I short the the sync cord sometimes I can see a tiny arc but it won't flash. Does anyone have any idea's? I've never tried to work on a flash before but I would like to get this one working.
Brian
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you see the tiny arc?
brian d

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the sync cord where I am shorting it to try to fire the flash, not on the flash itself. I started out trying it with a button trigger switch that I use with other strobonar's it did flash one time then would'nt fire any more although the ready light does continue to come on. then tried by shorting a regular sync cord to rule out a problem with the switch I was using, this is when I can see the arc
1banjo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all
on these old Honeywell // Heiland Strobonar 64 they need to be recharged
you need a 110AC charge cord pluge then in for say 2 HRs then see how well
they work .

the little light mite then glow as its to tell you that all is charge up
I went though 6 set of D batterys be for little light came on captures
need a good charge
but if all you use is D batterys just leave the flash on for 2 HRs &
change out the batterys to keep good one in all the time so it can get a good
charge !
as for a 110AC cord one off of some radios mite work or a Norelco shaver

banjo
bartbob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1banjo wrote:
hey all
on these old Honeywell // Heiland Strobonar 64 they need to be recharged
you need a 110AC charge cord pluge then in for say 2 HRs then see how well they work.
Right you are. I left my strobe charging last night on batteries for a couple of hours before going to sleep. But the ready light never came on.

I've got a couple of Norelco electric razor cords and if their two-hole end fits the Strobonar's AC pins, is it really all right to plug 'em together.?

I ask as some AC charged devices require a lower AC voltage else the circuit's will be fried. But if the Strobonar will take AC outlet 120 V direct, then that's fine by me.

Is there an online service manual for these speedlights?

Bart
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/heiland_strobonar_64.pdf

Brian,
A small spark at the sync terminals when shorted shows that the unit is powered up and is normal. The fact that you got it to fire is good.

These flash units have fairly high voltages inside so make sure the unit is fully discharged before attempting to open one. The case appears to be snap together plastic. Gently prying at a seam after removing any screws and releasing any internal latch should get the case open. The standard is to use a bump that mates into a recess or a short finger with a hooked end that catches on a lip.

I might be able to figure out what is wrong with it if I had it in my possesion.

Bart,
The ready light is a common neon bulb. The may still be easy to find
bartbob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now my 64B's ready light works normally. Older, used batteries recharge the strobe in 22 seconds, newer ones with some use take 12 seconds. The manual says 8 to 12 seconds with fresh batteries. So all's well and good in Strobesville. I may try Nimh D cells to see if they recharge the strobe faster.

Thanks, 45PSS, on the neon bulb info. I thought it would be easily replace but now that's not necessary. If I can get it apart then get the front lens out to work a bead of super glue in the crack across it, that'll be all it needs.

I may try the AC function using an old Norelco razor cord. The ones I have are a bit too narrow between the holes in the female end but will make good contact so it should work. I'm waiting for confirmation that 120 VAC from an outlet can safely be directly connected to the two pins on the strobe.

Last edited by bartbob on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I may try the AC function using an old Norelco razor cord. The ones I have are a bit too narrow between the holes in the female end but will make good contact so it should work. I'm waiting for confirmation that 120 VAC from an outlet can safely be directly connected to the two pins on the strobe.

Page 19 of the manual I linked in a previous post:
AC power source 105-125VAC 50-60 cycles per second.

Old electricans joke: How do you tell if an electrical line is hot or not. Take your shoe or boot off and place you foot into a bucket of water then touch the bare wire. If you light up its hot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: