Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalart Focuspot laser pointer retrofit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivan J. Eberle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Kalart Focuspot laser pointer retrofit Reply with quote

I've re-mirrored my RF and gotten it very accurately dialed in with my Caltar IIN 135mm. I'm also stoked that a common red LED laser pointer does a fantastic job of focus confirmation and rapid focus acquisition in broad daylight.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific brand and model laser pointer that can be adapted/hacked to fit inside the original right-angle Focuspot housing? (My Meridian 45CE has a revolving back that would interfere with simply clamping one on the eyepiece). I'm thinking it will be really slick to use the original rotary switch, too.
pv17vv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC it has been discussed here some time ago by someone from Italy.
tsgrimm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple search for laser will bring up a lot of ideas discussed here.
I am sure that one of them will get you started.
Ivan J. Eberle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, and yes, I did think to search first.

From what I see of the resulting threads, however, no one has yet indicated which specific laser pointer or module works with and fits inside the Focuspot housing. I've already burned a lot of gasoline looking for laser pointers in all the local Targets and Walmarts etc to no avail, as well. Looks like I need to order something online, sight unseen.

Anyone who's actually done this have a specific recommendation of what worked for you?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st. choice: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/513525/Office-Depot-Keychain-Laser-Pointer-1/

ND. choice: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/343483/Quartet-Class-3A-Standard-Laser-Pointer/

3.rd choice: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/905072/Quartet-Comfort-Classic-Class-2-Laser/

Staples and Office Max do not have any lower cost or small models that use button batteries.

Careful removal of the workings with external of the focus spot mounting of the batteries may work.

Search engine for Laser pointer(s) in shopping of office supplies may produce some more or better possibilities.
Ivan J. Eberle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charles!

Of the #1 choice, does it fit inside the Focuspot housing without disassembly? 3 button cells or 2?

I've already got a couple of #3's, that I use in conjunction with beam interrupt triggers. Like the voltage (takes 2 AAAs =3V) but the form factor won't work with the Focuspot.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a focus spot on hand; I do not have a pointer to try; just knew where to look to find something to research further.
http://www.staples.com/Apollo-MP1200-Plastic-Laser-Pointer/product_829630?cmArea=SEARCH
may actually be a better choice after giving it some more thought.

Click on the product details tab on the items page, some show manufacturer and model number. the keychain uses 3.
Ivan J. Eberle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A problem with most of the common pen-type and keychain types is that the capsules containing the LED have it off center, and are nearly as large as the Focuspot tube.

After trying a few different ones and hacking them apart, the best I found so far is a cat toy (Fat Cat) that has a terrific and tiny all brass, threaded well-focused laser capsule. With a small amount of filing it will fit vertically and centered in the downtube of the Focuspot (The original lens had to be popped out).

Now on to finding a 3 volt rechargeable soldertab battery (LiOn?) that will neatly fit inside the horizontal tube.
graphicdave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Graflite 2 cell flash for the power source for my experiment. I was able to fit the laser into the Focuspot and use the flash cord and rotary switch as well. Unfortunately this was done several years ago so I don't recall what brand of laser I used. I do remember it was a short keychain type. Much easier to focus with than the image of a filament. One word of caution, and I'm sure you've already considered this....careful with the eyes of your subjects!
Ivan J. Eberle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A common CR2 lithium 3V photo battery fits the bore of the Focuspot almost perfectly, with the caveat that it didn't fit all the way down inside the tube until I dusted down the stops with a 120# Dremel-type sanding drum. (Less than 5 minutes work). Still puzzling out the battery terminals, have decided against a rechargeable because the CR2 type is so commonplace and it's a type I already have need of, with RF flash triggers (Yong Nuo and Phottix, both)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: