Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning sticky Kalart rangefinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkreithen

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this has been answered in the past archives. If so, and someone could point me to the post, I'd appreciate it. The question is: I have a Century graphic with a sticky rangefinder (when I focus from far to near, the rangefinder secondary image lags a bit, then snaps up). How can I clean what I assume to be congealed lubricants from the rangefinder? After cleaning, do I need to re-lubricate? Is there anything to look out for, such as springs that will fly off as I disassemble the mechanism? Thanks for any help. The Kalart I refer to is the late one, as mounted on the Century graphic.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before doing any disassembly on the Kalart, and working inside the camera box next to the bellows, apply one (1) drop of lighter fluid to the coupling shaft at the bearing point where it comes from the rangefinder through the wall of the camera box. This should dissolve any congealed lubricant and free up the action. If not, remove the cover plate (housing) of the rangefinder, which is attached by four screws; nothing will fly. This will expose the moving parts inside the housing, to the bearing points of which apply a single drop of lighter fluid, being very careful not to get any on the glass surfaces. Hopefully this will be sufficient to free up whatever is sticking. Now would be a good time also to clean the glass surfaces with lens cleaning fluid and lens tissue. The Kalart service manual (available from Finger Lakes Photo Books at:
http://www.photobooksonline.com ) does not provide for lubrication of any part other than the coupling shaft, but there are a few other adjustments you can try, as described in the manual, if the action still lags.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: