Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3x4 Tele Graflex shutter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
berrybd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: 3x4 Tele Graflex shutter Reply with quote

Hot Dog! My 3x4 TeleGraflex is all lined up, new mirror, got a good focus panel for the back, all my mag bags ready, got a 10-inch f6.3 Zeiss too, even has a stop-down lever. Only one problem: the focal-plane shutter is disemboweled. Can I buy a 3x4 Speed and simply uninstall that shutter and reinstall it on my Graflex?
semihemi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the 3x4, but in the case of a 4x5 the switcheroo will not work. You could physically attach the Speed shutter and wind it on, no problem. However, the spacing of the apertures in the Speed curtain would not match the spacing in the original reflex curtain. So the camera would appear to function just fine but in fact the film area would not be entirely exposed when you tripped the shutter. Even worse, the shutter might come to rest with part of the film still receiving exposure. I would be virtually certain that this problem would also affect the 3x4 size.

Best of luck with the 3x4. Best bet is to fabricate an entirely new shutter. It is worth the effort. Bert Saunders can send directions to you if you send up the "Bert signal".

Happy New Year,

Semi
DHF845

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 3x4 Tele Graflex shutter Reply with quote

berrybd wrote:
Hot Dog! My 3x4 TeleGraflex is all lined up, new mirror, got a good focus panel for the back, all my mag bags ready, got a 10-inch f6.3 Zeiss too, even has a stop-down lever. Only one problem: the focal-plane shutter is disemboweled. Can I buy a 3x4 Speed and simply uninstall that shutter and reinstall it on my Graflex?

The 3x4 'Telescopic Revolving Back Graflex' (c.1915-1923)? A 3x4 REVOLVING BACK Model B (1923-1942) OR 3x4 RB Series D (1928-1941) curtain will work.
The 3x4 RB Auto Graflex (c.1909-1941) used the same curtain (but is probably too valuable to canabalize). Best chance of finding a parts camera (for the curtain) is the relatively common, slightly more recent (1930's-1940's) 3x4 RB Series B or D (if you want to go that route).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: