Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Press 40B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flashbulbman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Press 40B Reply with quote

I have always used Press 25s and sometimes, #5 bulbs for many years. I never used anything larger. Now, I have a gentleman who wants to sell me cases of Press 40B bulbs at a very low price per case.

Have any of you gentleman used the Press 40B screw base bulbs? What did you think of them?

Would I be wasting money getting them if a Press 25 clear bulb does the same job for me with black and white film? I was told that the Press 40B has about the same power as a Press 25 clear bulb. I guess they might come in handy in my 7" reflector for color 4x5 film, but I do have several cases of 25B bulbs as well.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're pretty close on that one. I probably have the lumen second numbers around here somewhere. One thing about blue bulbs and modern color film I've found: the color balance is not correct any more. The results I've gotten are quite obviously much too blue. Modern color negative film is formulated to work with electronic flash, whose color is pure white. It's more tolerant of mixed lighting but the blue bulbs just don't give the results they used to. If you want to shoot color with bulbs, I think you would be better off with clear bulbs and a light blue filter. Blue bulbs are really blue. They are fine with most B&W film, though. One stop more exposure than clear bulbs.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
George B

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue bulbs are all over the place. Here's two 40s from GE.

You tell me... would you trust the color temperature from these guys ?

Maybe this is a better (superior) solution...

glennfromwy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some that are lighter than others, too. I tend to think the lighter ones are newer versions. They would be more suited to newer color emulsions. Ive seen ads for Blu-Kote. It came on the market for use with Kodachrome.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: