Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

focussing a 90mm or wider on a crown

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Bunnik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: focussing a 90mm or wider on a crown Reply with quote

I am planning to get a 90mm as my next lens. From what I have found out about using a 90mm on a Crown, when focussed at infinity, the lens will be on the rear rails. Therefore, forward tilt by using the bed drop is not possible. Am I correct and if so, do users find the lack of forward tilt a problem when shooting landscapes?

The use of a 75 of 65mm of course lacks forward tilt but since these lenses offer a larger depth of field, the lack migt be less of a problem. What are your experiences?

Thanks for your advice.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, I use a number of lenses on my 2x3 Graphics that make infinity "inside the box." No front tilt. No sense of loss, but then the only movement Pacemaker Graphics offer that can actually be used is, in my opinion, front rise, or front fall if the camera is inverted. I've used front fall for macro shots at ground level.

I've played at getting forward tilt by using front rise and dropping the bed, gave it up as just plain dumb.

If you want a proper view camera, get one and put your Crown away.

Cheers,

Dan
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still have great depth of field with 90mm. Consult a hyperfocal distance scale. Focus and shoot using hyperfocal distance and you won't need any movements for landscapes. I built a fixed focus box camera with a 90mm lens and set the focus at 19 feet, which is the hyperfocal distance at f/11. That worked well and I could get closer distaces in sharp focus by simply stopping down. I never use anything but occasional front rise on my Speed and Crown Graphics doing landscapes anyway. Be sure to drop the bed unless you want itin your picture.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
pv17vv

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera upside down, problem solved.

troublemaker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the lens too. Different lenses will position a little differently fore and aft on the the rails. My f~8 SA 65 sits a full 1/4" forward of where my 6.8 65 Raptar did. My 6.8 Angulon 65 is about inbetween. Same with 90mm lenses.
Be nice to know what 90mm you are looking at so someone that has one can tell you where on the rails it will lock down.
Yeah the 90mm has a pretty long DOF at shooting apertures. The only problem I have had is loosing some sharpness in the corners for lack of coverage with the Angulon 6.8. SO I just shoot a little loose expecting to crop some. Thus I don't even drop the bed and crop out the tiny bit of front rails that get into the picture. I think if I used forward tilt I'd get dark upper corners. Just focus and compose carefully and stop way down with a lens like this.
Frank Bunnik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking of a Rodenstock 90mm 6.8 Grandagon N lens
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to show my ignorance. How deep is the 4x5 Crown body?

Per http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/mediabase/original/e_Rodenstock_Analog_Lenses_27-42__8226.pdf, the lens' flange-to-film distance at infinity is 94 mm. Go measure. It might make infinity on the outer rails.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I layed a straight edge across one, and it's 83mm from the front of the box to the GG. I remember once I had a lens that I was able to have the standard half on the back of the front rails with the bed down, but I think it was a 135 and was using a lot of movement. One things for sure, when you drop the bed it really projects the placement of the standard forward making it necessary to have any lens a lot farther back on the rails than in the standard position say where your stops are. Using the movements on the 45 series is more practical with 150 to 210mm lenses though certainly not impossible with the shorter lengths.
I don't think Frank's Rodenstock will pose any coverage issues, but his loosey goosey rear rails might be an irritation and or getting the standard to lock in a 90 degree orientation should the lens require it to be right on the hinge joint which is not uncommon on the 45 or the 23 series with 90 and 65mm lenses respectfully.
Frank Bunnik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. I realize the lens standard has to be put back with the standard on the dropped front rails. I now realize that even when the 90mm would normally fit on the front rails (supposing it does), after dropping the bed, it might not be possible to move the standard back enough to get a sharp image.

By the way, I fixed the rear rails by putting the screws back in the rail guides, just not srew them in too tight. They are not wobbly anymore.

Last edited by Frank Bunnik on Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
troublemaker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fixed a few of these rail issues. Can be an easy fix or the whole darned thing needs to be taken apart, re-shimmed and sometimes
I've had to make or replace the short rear rails if they are broken from improper closure of the camera. Of course normal wear, dirt and lack of lube wears out the little bastards over time also. I tear down most of my cameras anyways and clean and re-lube everything. Not for everyone, but sure is nice to have one working as good as possible.
Frank Bunnik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I lubricated the tracks today. Focussing is much smoother now.
Frank Bunnik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my Grandagon 6.8 90mm arrived. It fits on the front rails, focussed at infiniy. I bought it from Peter Walnes in the UK. In the recent past I bought a few items from him, always in great condition for low prices. My Nikkor W 135mm was only 110 GBP and this lens was 279 GBP. I highly recommend him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: