Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 vs No.5...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
George B

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: M3 vs No.5... Reply with quote

I just acquired a gross of M3 bulbs. The box says these bulbs have a light output of 16,000 Lumen Seconds, Peak Time 17.5 milliseconds. For all practical purposes that's very close to No. 5 bulbs. Can I assume my Guide Number will be the same ? I typically use GN 220 for 100 ASA film with No. 5's outdoors at night and in big rooms.

I know I should do a test but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any firsthand experience with M3's.

BTW: It's hard for me to believe that these tiny bulbs can pack a punch as bright as No. 5's.

Thank you...
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find the M3s to perhaps need 1/2 to one stop more exposure than the #5. The biggest reason is the M3 was meant to be used in a smaller reflector, for a more narrow, concentrated, coverage. If you use a 5" reflector with them you should come close. The M3 does indeed pack a real punch for a small bulb. Those tiny AG1 bulbs are almost as bright as a #5, too. They were meant to be used in a little 2 1/2 to 3" reflector. The larger the reflector, the more exposure necessary for the same bulb. Good luck.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the following thread for flashbulb data.

http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=5074

On page 2 of the thread are 2 links to all the flashbulb specs you could ask for

Keep in mind the two variables which can affect these specs: reflector size and the synch setting used..
flashbulbman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M-3 bulbs are filled with Rhenium which accounts for the "punch" they have. Peaking at 17.5 Milliseconds, I have used mine at 125th of a second with my Canon F-1 35mm camera with focal plane shutter. Using my pet load of 100 ASA Plus-X, I got a guide number of 160. In 35mm, I have used up to 1/500th of a second with M3 bulbs, but used a guide number of 80, which seemed to work fine. The M3 is my choice for 35mm.

For my Speed Graphic cameras, I still like the Sylvania Press 25s. I just started using them in the 7 inch reflectors now that I aquired a screw in adapter that accepts Press 5 and Press 25s. I did some tests and like the 7" reflector better indoors, since the spread angle is now 120 degrees.

They did make an adapter that takes M3 bulbs in the 5" reflector for the Speed Graphics. Never used one for 4x5.
Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They made a bayonet to M base adapter, but it also had a deep 3" reflector attached to it. These were, well inexpensively made, and lots of third party companies (back when Made in Japan meant cheap) made them out of plastic.

But Graflex also made a Mil Spec. M base adapter for the 2nd version of the 5" Graflite, the one with sheet spring fingers to hold the bulb. The M base adapter is machined out of stainless I think, and pops in snugly but still allows you to use the ejector button. Hard to find as most people don't know what they are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: