Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why the monster price on this Graflex??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
semihemi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear from the buyer. What was the seller getting at with the 'the spring mechanism may be loose or something' statement? Was the curtain just sluggish or was the mirror hung up, or what have you? I guess I would be interested in a description of the mechanical condition of the camera.

Thanks in advance,

Semi
vehicle2CV

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - The curtain is stiff and sluggish, but it works. I think the spring needs to be tightened in some way. There was a loose piece of wood in the mirrorbox covering the focusing rail. I glued it back on. All in all I am happy. As for the film-holders, I have an excuse to get a camera they fit. My wife thinks it is a great hobby and enjoys the results.
disemjg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The larger cameras do bring more money, especially when they are in decent shape. Also, older (say up to WWI) cameras can be expensive if they are unusual models. I recently got a Revolving Back Auto Graflex (the 1906~1908 model) in nice shape, and had to pay close to $500 for it. A short while ago I was bidding on a nice Home Portrait Graflex, but it wound up at about $750 and that was too much for me.

And 'Bay, like any auction, is something of a crapshoot and all too often people pay too much for something. Some of the dealers, Camera$ among them, tend to put crazy prices on their buy it now items, and people sometimes pay the crazy price. I usually chalk that up to a lack of homework on the part of the buyer, who may have gotten a comparable item for significantly less by being more patient and sticking to the auctions.

Vehicle2CV, you will find it much easier to find a camera to fit the holders you got with the camera than you will to find the slotted 5X7 holders for your Graflex. They are very hard to come by. Hopefully one of the bag mags you got is for film, and can be used.

John
vehicle2CV

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Holders etc. Reply with quote

Hi John;
Both the BagMags are for film and appear to be light-tight. I do also have some normal Graflex holders for the camera. Was lucky to find a Series B also in 5x7. And as for the holders - bought a Burke and James 5x7 view-camera with red bellows and in Very good condition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: