Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retrofitting a Super B RB to a 4 x 5 back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FotoWERKS

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Retrofitting a Super B RB to a 4 x 5 back Reply with quote

Does anyone have a tip as to how to go about turning a GRAFLEX SUPER B RB, that currently uses 3x 4(1/4) film to a 4 x 5 film holder?!~
Thanks everyone~!
bruiser

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's someone who does it:

http://www.globalmatter-lab.net/Convert%20R%20B%20Graflex%20with%204x5%20Grafloc%20Back.htm

Might be a tad tricky to try yourself.

Cheers,
Bruce
FotoWERKS

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!~I will look into it! Definitely something for experienced hands.
Sincerely
Ken ...a Wanna Be Graflex person!~
bruiser

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not cheap, but you'll end up with a far more user friendly camera!

Cheers,
Bruce
FotoWERKS

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce~
Have you used/owned one and, are they as wonderful as they appear? I missed one, online!~ It was the Dorothea Lange camera!~
Ken
bruiser

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

No I haven't used my one yet. The shutter fabric needs replacing so it's one of those project I'll get around to....!! Nice to look at though.

Others on these boards love their Graflex SLRs so one might be kind enough to offer some experiences.

If your camera has a Graflex back (just the slides at top and bottom) you might find a 120 roll film back with a 3x4 mounting plate on eBay. Once again someone might confirm that this will work.

A Dorothea Lange camera would have been a great win!

Cheers,
Bruce
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Graflex SLR Reply with quote

I recently purchased 3x4 Super D. Took it out to the park.

http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/vv47/mopar_guy/?action=view&current=Graflex34_4.jpg

I took this shot with some T-max 100 and printed on some outdated paper. Scanned at 300dpi. The neg was underexposed and my processing was not the best. The camera was filthy when I got it but I cleaned it up and the 152mm Ektar is all scratched up. I got four shots and this was probably the first time that the camera had been used in over 30 years. I had so much fun that I bought a second camera just like it.

Regards,
Dave
FotoWERKS

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow~ Thank you!~ It must have been a blast knowing the history of the camera, as it took its first photo in many years!~
As I understand it, they were best used for portraits. Although I'm a bit of a bridge generation,( film and digital) there is simply a romance that oozes out of these cameras, AND.....film!~
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Using a Graflex SLR Reply with quote

Ken,

Using a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Graflex Super D is simple if you want to use roll film. Graflex made rollholders to fit Graflex back cameras. I own one for 2x2 and another for 2x3 so I can use 120 rollfilm if I want. I also have five sheet film holders. I simply buy 8x10 film and cut it down. I went to Office Depot and got myself one of those guillotine style paper cutters and set it up with a 3-position stop made out of a piece of 1x4 lumber. I can cut 4 1/4 inch, 3 1/4 inch and 2 1/4 inch in total darkness with this setup. Total cost was about $70.

Using the Super D is kind of a personal project. I took the photos at Camano Island State Park back at the end of February and I haven't had a chance to try the camera again yet because I haven't had the time.

Regards,
Dave
I guess that I could get a digital camera but it would be obsolete in a couple of years (three tops). Or I could use my 3x4 Anniversary Speed Graphic. Heck, it's been obsolete for 50 years. That's way better than digital.
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When looking for a 3x4 rollfilm back, be sure it was made for a Graflex SLR. The right kind has a groove running 5/8 inch from one side to fit the raised light trap on the camera body. The ones for the Graphics have ridges instead of a groove and will not fit.
It's well worth looking for a rollfilm back. I have an 8-exposure back for my 3x4 RB which has a 6-3/8" lens. This makes it a wonderful portrait camera -- the lens on a 6x9cm frame is roughly equivalent to an 80mm on the 35mm format.
FotoWERKS

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that it does me well, to learn of OTHER passionate "4 x 5-ers" out there!!!! ( Shoulde that be our new moniker: "A 4 x 5-ER""
I shall look into that, as there are many more 3 x4's avail
able~ Has anyone tried to make a 6 x 12? (panaramic?!)
Ken
thanks, everyone!~
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: CONVERSION PLATE 3X4 OR 4X5 GRAFLEX TO 4X5 GRAFLOK Reply with quote

TO ALL RESPONDERS TO THIS QUESTION!
THE PRICE ON THE BACK THAT THE MEMBER SUPPLIED THE ADDRESS/INFO FOR THE COMPANY THAT FABRICATES A CONVERSION IS OUT OF SIGHT!
DONT WANT TO IMPLY THAT THIS COMPANY COPIED MY DESIGN...BUT SOMETIME IN LATE 1999 I >INVENTED< AND HAVE SOLD 40/50 CONVERSION BACKS! AT FIRST I PURCHASED GRAFLOKS AND SOLD THEM FOR $145 COMPLETE PLUS POSTAGE...I MADE A HUGE PROFIT OF $25 EACH FOR THIS EFFORT.....AFTER HAVING TO QUIT THE REPAIR BUSINESS DUE TO HEALTH PROBLEMS, I HAVE BEEN SELLING THE CONVERSION PLATES WITHOUT THE GRAFLOK FOR $65 PLUS SHIPPING!
MY EXORBIDENT PROFIT FOR THIS EFFORT IS AFTER MATERIAL COSTS AN MILL WORK/DRILLING/HAND FILING IS ABOUT $5 FOR 5 1/2 HR'S OF LABOR!
MILLED TO ORDER, THE PLATE COMES WITH FELT BACKING AND (5) SCREWS TO MOUNT THE GRAFLOK. I USE THE OLD GRAFLEX BACK TO MATCH DRILL AND TO DUPLICATE THE 3X4 OR 4X5 RB RING AND FILM OPENING....AND I ADD ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS AS WELL!
NORMALLY I JUST ANSWERED REPAIR AND FABRICATION QUESTIONS, BY GIVING MY EMAIL ADDRESS...TO AVOID THE "*******" ADDS ON THIS FORUM...
BUT HAVE RESPONDED WITH THE EMAIL SO OFTEN, ON THIS QUESTION AND OTHERS, MUST BREAK THE RULE JUST ONE TIME! I HAVE MATERIAL LEFT FOR ONLY 4 MORE CONVERSIONS....BETTER HURRY!
HAVE A NICE DAY........BERT
bsaunders1@bak.rr.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: