Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BOOKS - LIGHTING FOR STUDIO PORTRAIT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
renes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: BOOKS - LIGHTING FOR STUDIO PORTRAIT Reply with quote

Hi,

Does someone know any books which describes techniques of lighting for studio art portrait photography (b&w) using only continuous light (incandescent/halogen/tungsten lamps) ? I have a lot of beautiful old portrait photos from 1900-1950 and would like to learn more about lighting techniques in this period.
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Old lighting techniques Reply with quote

Renes,
I have seen quite a few older Photo books that describe lighting as was practiced in the middle of the last century. Modern lighting seems to focus on lighting the subject to a much greater extent than some photographers of the '40s or 50's. One book on the topic that I think you may find of interest is published by Focal Press Limited and is titled Lighting for Photography. This title was first published in 1940 and there were Editions at least as late as 1968. The author, Walter Nurnberg, describes how a photographer can start with a dimly lit studio and then add lights for the subject that will get the effect of combining highlights and shadows to create a vintage look. My copy is the Sixteenth Edition, July 1968. I got this at a second hand store for a couple of dollars. Apparently this was translated to French, Spanish and German.
I also recently got a copy of The Book, Graphic Graflex Photography by Morgan and Lester. Mine is the Ninth Edition, July 1952. This book is a wonderful reference on Speed Graphics and their cousins as well as Graflex SLR's. Included are numerous examples of photos taken with Graphic cameras and chapters on "Illumination" and "Synchroflash". Page 356 has a Photo titled "My Dog Duchess" by Constance Bannister which is an example of these vintage techniques in lighting. This photo was a prize winning entry in the 1950 Graflex Photo Contest. Why don't we have a 2009 Graflex Photo Contest. I was always a sucker for photo contests.
Best regards,
Dave
I guess that I could get a digital camera but it would be obsolete in a couple of years (three tops). Or I could use my 3x4 Anniversary Speed Graphic. Heck, it's been obsolete for 50 years. That's way better than digital.
ron8748

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this one....http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Portraits-Roger-Hicks/dp/0817440208/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238818351&sr=1-1

.........it's an excellent book for b&w portraits using hot lights
renes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks!

I have just bought "Lighting for Photography" - Walter Nurnberg and look for Morgan Lester' " Graphic Graflex Photography" Do you know how much the three ediotoinos differ: 1948 , 1954 , 1972? Is it worth to find the last one?

"Hollywood Portraits" I put on my list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: