Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Misaligned Lens Board/Bed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uncledoug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this nice Graphic. Maybe Speed, maybe not (it has some, but not all, of the exterior FP shutter hardware; but no FP shutter). I think it was taken apart and refurbed. It's in grand shape.

But: The bed tilts up just an eentsy -- a couple of degrees. Which means that, when everything is locked at zero, the lensboard tilts by the same amount (unfortunately, the bed tilts up, so I can't correct with the lens tilt).

It looks to me like there are at least four things I could try to correct this:

(1) I could take it all apart, fill the appropriate screw holes, and try to remount the plates that hold the struts (my term for those arms that connect the bed to the body). This way appears to me to invite madness and disaster.

(2) I could try to shim behind the lens board. I suspect this would tend to introduce light leaks, but would be simple to try and reversible.

(3) I could ream out the channel at the body end of the struts. I hesitate to do this, because I think it might compromise the rigidity of the struts.

(4) I could grind out the end of the slots in the tilt brackets (my term for those thin molded aluminum pieces within which the lensboard moves). The potential problem being that imprecise matching would introduce a tad of swing.

Thanking you for your patience (if you're still reading), my question is: Any ideas which of these would be most appropriate?

Or is there some easy fix I've overlooked?

Thanks.

Doug
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 1 way to fix--see if you can find where original strut plates were mounted--There should be >filled< holes, or holes covered by the plates! Remount the plates in their original locations! If you cant find the orig holes--contact me and I can probably give you dims to re-locate them!
Bert
uncledoug

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I sort of figured the hard way was the answer. . .

Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: