Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8x10 Camera Back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody got any thoughts on where I might be able to pick up an 8x10 back reasonably inexpensively? There's a Deardorff on eBay I'm watching but would like to consider other sources as well.

What I'm looking to do is build a pinhole camera that I will use 8x10 film in. I had an idea for a way to keep the holder in place and keep the camera light tight but am also thinking that fixing a film back to the back of the camera box might also be a way to go.

I'm also considering using home made albumen glass plates in this camera. Anyone got any thoughts on the best way to hold these? A standard 8x10 film holder wouldn't allow for the greater thickness of the glass I wouldn't think. Are there special holders for glass plates?

Thanks in advance.
EASmithV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.apug.org <=== ask in the WTB section
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8X10 glass plate holders are still ut there, but noot at all common. You may want to post your question on the large format forum. You won't be able to use the fer sale/wanted section until you've been a member for 30 days. Ask your question in the "cameras" thread, in the questions and answers forum.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Les

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while there are 8x10 plate holders out there, they are designed for dry plates.

The wet plate process is messy and the moisture will quickly destroy the fiber board divider commonly used in plate holders from the turn of the last century. At best find one with a metal divider.

I'm not a wet plate photographer, but from what I've seen, most 19th century re-enacting photographers make or have somebody make wet plate holders designed for the abuse and acids that are involved.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les is right and I never thought of that. Wet Plate is a mess. However, wet plate holders are very scarce and pretty easily identified. They're usually of the book form type. Dry plate holders look the same as film holders.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
DHF845

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: 8x10 and wet plate supplies Reply with quote

Try Bostick and Sullivan, they carry large format film, liquid emulsion, wet plate/collodion chemicals, all sorts of supplies for alternative photographic processes:

http//bostick-sullivan.com/
Got first Speed Graphic at 15 (1976).Other kids were using 35mm SLR's. I ran around with flashbulbs and sheet-film holders, I wanted to be Weegee (#2084).
graphicdave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents,

The original post was from November 20, 2006. I doubt if BobF is still looking for the answer but I could be wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: