Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General Precision Grafmatic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graphicdave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: General Precision Grafmatic Reply with quote

Hello my wonderful and intelligent understanding and forgiving fellow Graflex aficionados. Now that I have your attention please allow me to ask a question about Grafmatic quality that may have already been asked in the past but I can't seem to find in the search engine. I have a 4x5 General Precision Grafmatic. I vaguely remember a discussion about quality changes in Graflex products as the company changed ownership during the last years of production. How does the quality of the General Precision line compare to the other lines? The one I have is in excellent shape and functions properly but I would like to hear from folks that have more experience than I do, which is very little.

Thanks,
Dave
Les

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Grafmatic that isn't up to the quality of the rest is the one made by Wray Ltd. of England under license from Graflex. I've owned ones from the very first year to a Singer model and quality and workmanship were all fine.

Last edited by Les on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphicdave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. Thanks Les.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Les said. I have five rollholders for my Century: one RH20 (never have used it), three RH10s, and one RH8 (used rarely but I should use it more); all but the last are lever-advance. They span three periods of Graflex ownership: Graflex, Singer, and General Precision. In fact, the only time I had to have one repaired was when the lever return spring gave out on my (presumed) oldest RH10, a very nice Graflex gray-leatherette-covered one that matches my gray (red bellows) Century. A busted spring is understandable on an item that is probably at least 50 years old. I have noticed some frame spacing inconsistency with the RHs from time to time, but this may have been due to my careless loading, not lining up the arrows carefully, that sort of thing.
graphicdave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry. IIRC I think it was the Singer era that a previous post was referring to as the ones that were problematic and I think they were the roll holders and not the Grafmatics. I most likely won't have any problems though for two reasons; one, the Grafmatic I have shows very little use and two, I doubt that I'll use it often enough to break it or wear it out!
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, sorry, you did say Grafmatic and I apologize for not paying attention! I have no experience at all with Grafmatics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: