Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2x3 Wide angles and other back packing trivia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
renes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Thank's for explanation and Schneider pdf link with all data. So, Schneider Symar 80/5.6 covers 2x3 (111mm) with f/16 and becames an alternative to Kodak WF EKtar 80/6.3 although is also very hard to find. But now there are two which from I can make a choice and probably I will do it because all 75mm LF lenses (I prefer this lenght to 80mm) have too large rear diameter (over 51mm, besides f/8) and will not find enough room in Century bellows.

sevo,

Here there are a few Sekor 50/6.3 pictures. A friend of my told me looking at the photos that it will not possible with it to remove the shutter/lens assembly from the helical and mount the lens on graflex board. I am confused although looking at the photos a think it should be able...

[/img]
renes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found very interesting lens made for Graflex 22 TLR 6x6, there were two
versions:

Graflex Optar 83mm F3.2 (Graphex shutter)

and

Wollensak 83mm f3.2 Raptar (Rapax shutter)

I meet with opinion that the lens covers 6x8. I wonder if is it sharp in corners when stoped to f/22... maybe someone has this lens and uses it on 2x3?
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

83mm Optar! That's a new one on me. I know there were 65 (I have one) and 90mm. What do you know about this, Dan Fromm?
renes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=332&highlight=ciroflex

I have seen it on polish auction too but before I have bought Century.

It is from Graflex 22 TLR 6x6, it's very sharp, probably covers 6x8, but do not know about sharpness in corners when using 23 rollfilm back.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
83mm Optar! That's a new one on me. I know there were 65 (I have one) and 90mm. What do you know about this, Dan Fromm?
Nothing at all. But then I've never paid attention to Ciroflexes. If there are Graflex 22s with Raptar lenses, Graflex must have used lenses Ciro had on hand when bought without getting new trim rings for them.

FWIW, 83 mm is a bit long for nominal 6x6, brings to mind my Ansco Automatic Reflex which also has an 83/3.2 taking lens. That lens is a triplet; I haven't looked in the FAQs here, but I betcha the 83 Raptar is a triplet too.

Ansco is supposed to have used an 83 instead of an 80 to get better image quality in the corners. An 80 mm triplet that fast doesn't cover 80 mm (the diagonal of 2.25" x 2.25") very well.

Our friend Piotr seems to be hung up on finding buried treasure. I wish him luck, but there really isn't much around these days.

"Fast" normal lenses for cameras that shoot nominal 6x6 just won't cover nominal 6x9. It doesn't help that he thinks that nominal 6x9 isn't 2.25" x 3.25".

Thinking of buried treasure, a while ago I bought a very inexpensive 84/6.3 Krauss Tessar, probably from a Gaumont stereo camera, from a seller on eBay.fr. I finally tried it out on my Speed. Seems to cover nominal 2x3 at f/16.

Cheers,

Dan
renes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I do not remember now (supossely it was on photo.net) but someone who owned this 83mm f/3.2 (think it was Wollensak) lens expressed that this lens covers 6x8 (rollfillm back) but the 85mm f/3.5 wersion does not. He checked it.

The seller on polish auction who offered it (see photos) also expressed that the lens covers 6x9. The auction finished a few month ago but yestarday I sent an e-mail to him asking for this coverage.

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-76.html, the lens is a tessar type.

I'm sorry, nominal 6x8 isn't nominal 6x9, and an 83/3.5 tessar won't cover 6x9. Tessars that fast do well to cover 1.1 * focal length. Remember that one photographer's "covers" is another's "unacceptably fuzzy in the corners."
renes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I asked about sharpnest in corners.

In the meantime it turned out that short tele lenses (160mm-180mm) from my list only these 3 could fit into front standard of Century bellows:

Schneider Symmar 180/5.6 (rear is 45mm)
Wollensak 160mm f/5.6 Pro Optar (47mm?)
Graflex Optar 162mm f/4.5 (47mm)

Wollensak 160mm takes prise for sharpness, Graflex 162mm probably is not bad but I can buy 160mm Symmar for 250$... unfortunately could not find info about its quality... is it worth this price?

There was also mentioned here Schneider Symmar 80/5.6 made for (6x7) but which covers - according to Schneider vintage data - 6x9.
It is strage but it looks like this lens exists only on a Schneider paper - could find nothing about it elswhere.
renes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I hope you will give me an advice ... I was offered to buy two Super Angulon lenses: 47/8 and 75/8, they should fit to Century' standard but I am affraid about correct focusing with F/8 lens stop. Is it hard to focus with such aperture ? (I have original Graflex gg with fresnel). I will use lenses for landsape .

And are these lenses very good quality?

I was considering to buy Super Angulon 47/5.6 (non XL) and Tokyo Kogaku 75/5.6 (made for Horseman) but they are rather hard to find.

Have found opinion that SA 47/8 covers only 6x6 even with f/22 ???
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 47/8 SA will amply cover a 6 x 9 negative at f/22. Check 'Vintage Lens Data' on the JSK website.

Whether you can focus an f/8 lens on the ground glass depends on a lot of things-- the ambient light, how good your eyes are, and how good your darkcloth is. I bet you'll have no trouble, particularly with a 47mm lens on distant subjects. If you want to try it out, just get any one of your current lenses and focus it with the iris set at f/8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: