Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All black Pacemaker Speed Graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thafred

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: All black Pacemaker Speed Graphic Reply with quote

Hi,

I´m a proud owner of a anniversary speed graphic and recently a pacemaker joined the family. I´m lurking around and reading posts in this Forum for quite some time and I really appreciate the knowledge and commitment to those classic cameras!

The Pacemaker I bought was in very bad condition and I´ve just finished repairing it. (railes were bend and the body railguides were broken, Rf not working, supermatic shutter stuck...etc.)

One thing that triggered my curiosity is that all the parts that are usualy chrome on the pacemakers are black laquer or anodised on my example! The numbersplate betweeen the rail guides is missing but I guess it must be a very early pacemaker since there´s no Fresnel screen in the Graflok back (Focuses perfectly), the lens dates to 1951 (RC) and is a Ektar 127mm in a Kodak Supermatic shutter. don´t know thou if it is original or not! (rather odd to have a all black camera with a silver lensboard lens mounted) I don´t think, judging by the lack of care that this camera got, that a previous owner did actualy strip the crome and painted the parts black..so I guess it´s factory made.

Pictures:
this is the whole camera after refurbishing:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11560293@N03/2620579343/

Detail of the focusing Rails, you can see tha black paint chipping off the Brass parts, the "Front Standard" looks anodised to me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11560293@N03/2620579151/in/photostream/

Even the graflok is pained black, except the open button:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11560293@N03/2621401804/in/photostream/

My question now, is there any chance that this is a wartime model or something? (maybe Korea Era?)
Any information/help is highly appreciated!

All the best from Vienna!
Fred
willysmb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Fred
Since, the first Pacemakers appear in U.S. Signal Corps in 1947 (PH-47-H)
From US Signal Corps T.M. 1951
Camera PH-47-H is a Graflex Pacemaker fitted with a 127 mm f/4.7 anastigmat, Ektar and is mounted in a N°2 Supermatic (X) shutter with a iris diaphragm that may be stopped down to f/32, speeds from 1 to 1/400 second + time and bulb.The shutter was two connector contacts, designed to operate flashing unit.

I own one PH-47-H #838350 (1949?) with Kalart.
the Graflok back is different like traditionnal one. No Triggers on the back
(no screw hole for the screw trigger)
Is the back come with the camera is an original US Signal corps... ? I Don't now.
All the metal parts are in chrome finishing, except the rear view finder in black finition.

The black finishing is interesting on your camera, hope some expert here can give more informations about your camera

Cheers
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the bottom of the camera top. Is there a serial number ink stamped there like the earlier Speeds?
Thafred

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@willysmb: Thank you for your reply! I´m not sure if I understood what you say about the graflok back. Can you explain wich triggers you are talking about, thanks!

@45PSS: there´s no serial stamped under the top housing but I can clearly see the markings of the number plate (round) on the Dropbed. Also there´s eight screw holes on the bed. I will gladly make another picture if that´s of any help. Thank you for your reply!
willysmb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make some pics and place a link asap.

Cheers
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PH-47E was a Pacemaker specifically designed for the military. I think the military still wanted an Anniversary Speed, with a spring back, but Graflex wasn't making them anymore. To keep the costs down they made a Pacemaker without the body release and they didn't drill and tap the Graflok back for the sliders (triggers). It was cheaper to do that than to bring back the die casting equipment for the Pacemaker Spring back. This was also the only camera to be made with Olive Drab covering. The front standard, lens lensboard, solenoid and even the Graflite flash was black/ anodized.

I've never seen an all black Pacemaker before and I don't have any notes or literature on one.

But...

Tim Holden, the last historian to actually work at the home office, told me they made cameras for a multitude of Governments. Exactly which ones besides Britain and Belgium he didn't say.

I'm guessing this is one of those cameras, made for a non US military

What has my curiosity, is what seems to be a dimple or a slightly depressed circle on the lower half of the focal plane shutter cover. A better shot of the shutter cover straight on would be great.
pv17vv

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Exactly which ones besides Britain and Belgium he didn't say.

Eeeeh ?

Les, do you mean Belgium bought cameras from Graflex for the Armée Belge/Belgisch Leger ???

Can you be more specific please ?
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No proof, but that's what he said.
willysmb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ph-47-H appear in 47 with a Graphic back

C-45 was introduced in 1951 with Graflok back

The Graflok was introduced in 1949 and I suppose that a lot of PH-47-H, were modified after 49 ? your opinion ?

My 47-H is from 1949 so do you think that the Graflok was introduced in Signal Corps in 49?

C-6 (Air Force) in 1950 with Graflok Back
(Ke-12(1)) too in 1954 : Since this one was the first with no leather in green finish ?

My Graflok back (ununscrew for triggers) have the same part number: 31914 than the "normal" Graflok

Cheers
Les

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willysmb wrote:

C-45 was introduced in 1951 with Graflok back

This is another one that isn't in my records. there wasn't a C-45 listed for any of the branches of US Service for any time that I can find out. Can you post a photograph?

Could this possibly be the Combat '45" that designed for the Marines & Navy at the end of WWII and was used in Korea?
willysmb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortabilly I have no C45 .
I found this information in a TM.
I'll try to refound this information asap.

I think that you are in the real way with the Combat Camera after modification for Korea. In this case, the back is not a Graflok but a Graphic.

Perhaps it's for this reason that I never saw any Pacemaker named C45

Cheers
Les

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking a second and third look when I'm not so tired, I wonder why an all black camera would have bright bezels on the range finder, the viewfinder and the body release.

(the lensboard could be a replacement and I suppose the view finder as well, but it's hard/unusual to have to replace a rangefinder unless the original was removed by some backpacking git. And why would somebody have to replace a body release trim?
Thafred

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not responding earlier but I had to find my much hated digital-camera to take the pictures (would have been way faster if I just shot some frames of Film...ahh the convenience of black and white )

Les: Thank you for making my question about the graflok clear to me.
I was wondering too about the bright parts...just doesn´t make sense does it? The chrome plate on the rangefinder cage (were the Flash is mounted) was removed by me but it was on the camera initialy and was the brightest part of them all the Kalart also had a Focuspot mounted btw.
Another thing you can see on the Picture I took from above the camera is that there´s a Linhof DOF scale glued on top of the camera. the fact that the scale is in Imperial and not in metric numbers could mean that the camera was originaly shipped to Britain, maybe?
another thing I was wondering is if this round mark in the middle of the drop bed actualy is from a nameplate or from an lens mounted that touched the closed bed? (I mounted a Symmar 150 yesterday and it´s front rim is in the same spot as the round marking)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11560293@N03/2650224107/in/photostream/

Sorry that the pics are so dark, on my workplace monitor I can´t make out anything...hope you can see the dimple here (I PS and reupload when I´m home again): http://www.flickr.com/photos/11560293@N03/2651051132/in/photostream/

thank you all for your contributions!! there´s so much knowledge around here, it´s quite amazing!!
cheers
fred
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The circle on the bed is from a lens, the two small holes are where the serial number plate retainer rivets were.
bruiser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I thought Thafred's mystery Pacemaker was a KE-12 (1) that has maybe had the body dyed black or recovered but it doesn't look like it. Definitely an unusual variation and I have never seen one before.
Now I have a strange one myself!
In my Military Graphic collection is a Combat Gaphic 45 (OD green), Army Air Force C-3, Air Force C-6, Signal Corps PH-47-H, 2 Signal Corps KS-4A(1) full camera kits, another Signal Corps KE-12(1) and another OD green 4x5 that is different to all of them.
If anyone knows the model of this rogue camera (no ID tag) please let me know. Is it the mystery C-45? The photos below show a KE-12(1) always on the left and the unknown one is always on the right:
http://photo.coffsbiz.com/milcams1.jpg
http://photo.coffsbiz.com/milcams2.jpg
http://photo.coffsbiz.com/milcams3.jpg
http://photo.coffsbiz.com/milcams4.jpg
http://photo.coffsbiz.com/milcams5.jpg
You can see differences in the backs and hoods, tops, body releases and rear shutter releases, lenses, flash reflectors, and handle straps. Both have Kalart rangefinders. The unknown camera has a full Graflok back with slides and the Ektar is RC5732L (1951). Tell me what it is!!
Cheers to all,
Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Military Cameras All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: