Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed for exposure problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James A Pierce

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Help needed for exposure problem Reply with quote

I acquired a Speed Graflex last winter. The images I have been taking of late have been unexposed. Before everyone jumps, yes, I have been removing the dark slide ! I have also tried cocking the shutter and viewing on tle ground glass to see if the shutter fires. Problem has been sproadic, but increasing greatly of late. Suggestions, ideas, please. Input greatly appreciated.
Les

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of two possibilities

A. The front shutter needs servicing, because the finger in the slot isn't always touching the flabis which makes the leaves leave.

B. Somebody has been mucking around with the focal plane shutter and forgot to put it back on O for "open"

C. (I can't count) The reverse is true, Your using the focal plane shutter but forgot to put the front shutter into the open position.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no, not the dreaded flabis problem again!? The situation may be hopeless....
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
Oh, no, not the dreaded flabis problem again!? The situation may be hopeless....
Nah, a standard cable release will cure it forever, although the flabis may have to be removed.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank g*d, thank g*d, as my old Granny used to say (I never could figure out how to pronounce the *). There's hope for us all!
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been loading the film holders so that the film notches are at either the top right or lower left corner as you look at the sheet of film? If not then you are trying to expose the antihalation coated side of the film.
R_J

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you undertook a time exposure (on setting B), would that help clarify whether it is the camera; the metering technique, film failing or a combination taking place?

One alternative would be to switch to a front-mounted lens in a shutter which you know is reliable in lieu of the Speed Graphic shutter.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you processing the film yourself? If yes, is the developer fresh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: