Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Focusing locks/screws spin aimlessly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingvirtuoso

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Focusing locks/screws spin aimlessly Reply with quote

Hello,

This is my first post and I've searched for this topic before, so I hope I'm not asking a question that's already been answered. So, here goes....

Just bought a "Graphic View 4x5" (with red bellows). I bought it on eBay, which I'm starting to think may have been a bad mistake.

Here's the problem: the "focusing locks" (as I believe they're called), which you turn to adjust the focus just spin in place and don't actually adjust the camera when you turn them. If I push the ends of the camera towards the middle, that works because the wheels on the focusing rods don't actually come into contact with the tracks on the rail. I've taken the whole thing apart and can't figure out what to do to fix it, and shimming it doesn't seem to help. All the screws are firmly in place and there's no play in the mechanics--it's just space in between the cog wheel and the tracks. Hope this makes sense.

Any thoughts on why the wheels wouldn't be grabbing the track? This is very annoying and has prevented me from even trying the camera because I'm afraid the camera will slide on the reel and ruin my shots.'

Thanks for any ideas!
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference: Graphic View Instruction Manual (www.southbristol views.com>graflex manuals link).
The silver knurled edge knob should turn independently of the black outer knob. Pull out on the knob assembly and slide the standard to desired position then push the knob in and fine adjust the focus and then turn the silver lock ring to the right to lock the position. If the lock ring turns freely on the shaft with the outer focus knob held stationary then the threads may be striped. If both knobs turn as one then the lock ring has been fully tightned against the focus knob. Rich will most likely jump in and correct anything I did not get correct or add additional information. Its been several years since I owned a Graphic View.
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late, but seems he hasn't been back anyway...

Can't really add anything. If flyingvirtuoso comes back and posts more details after looking at the manual, then I'd be more than happy to pull a View out of the case for comparisons...

Since the focus knobs disconnect from the gear when pulled out, so you can slide the standards freely, it's possible the springs are broken or missing. Also possible someone put them back together wrong. Easy to tell by looking at the inside of the rail if the gears are there and what position they are in. Or if they are there at all...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: