Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Late military graphics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5070trapdoor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Late military graphics Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I am looking for some info on the term of service on some Graflex Graphic cameras. I have six of these that I have been using for many years and I get many questions about them from other photographers, I have not seen others of this type in the 30 years I have been in the photo biz. The kits are marked KS-4a(2) Camera set, Still picture. The cameras in the cases are described as Camera-still picture, KE-12B and are metal bodied top RF graphics with many innovative features not seen on older models. Cocking ring around lenses etc.
Anyone have any idea when these were in service. They all have tech manuals TM 11-6720-222-10 the most recent dated 10 May 1963.
Thanks in advance for any help.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years, a computer or two, and many crashes ago I googled and found a government web site or subsite that had a list of the numbering codes used by the government in numbering their equipement. There is no rhyme or reason to the numbering system. The different departments of the military, coast guard, ect, number their cameras differently even if they are the same model with the same make of lens.
The only metal body, top rangefinder, cocking ring around the lens is the Super Speed Graphic (Labeled Super Speed Graphic on the lip of the bed and top of the front standard). The Super Speed were made from 1961 to 1970 according to Graflex Graphic Model History, under the Cameras link on the home page. ( http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/graphic-models.html ) Government models will still be dated by Graflex serial number and Graflex date codes found in the Serial Number Savy section at the bottom of the fourms.
Unless a camera was made for a special purpose such as airal photography the government purchased standatrd production cameras and set them up for a specific use such as portraiture, landscape, or close up (for example) and assigned different numbers to them based on their intended use.
Jet Mech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good old green Graflex 4 x 5 in the paperboard box with wooden stand. I am waiting to did it out to ID type and year. I used 4x5's while in the military as a "Still Photo Spec" for many years. I got this one in a trade for a M645. Where do I look for the serial number on the camera.

Kurt
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its an Anniversary or earlier the serial number will be ink stamped on the bottom of the camera top. Open the bed to shooting position, turn the camera upside down and look at the bottom side of the top. Pacemaker series cameras have their serial number stamped on a plate riveted between the rails on the camera bed. Serial numbers should be 6 digits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Military Cameras All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: