Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

200 or 400 for handholding...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Szulecki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: 200 or 400 for handholding... Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Quick question, if you were to own a Pacemaker Speed graphic equipped with an Optar 135mm in a Graphex shutter that has lost 1/400th abilities (tops at around 1/200th according to Flutot's), would you use 200 or 400 speed film for attempts to handhold the camera?

Basically, I'm concerned about the 400 speed with the reduced shutter speed, because in full sun I'd be pushing right up against the full f/stop AND shutter speed ranges. I think it would probably be fine, but any advice from people who use their cameras in this fashion? I normally shoot 100 speed film on a tripod, but I'm looking for ways to give the camera more use, and handholding it sounds like a good approach.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've shot 100 speed roll film hand-held on my Century 2x3 with Optar 101, in bright sun probably f16 @ 1/50 sec. or thereabouts, IIRC, and results have been fine. Of course for critical work I too use tripod, but it is fun once in a while to do it the old way. Don't forget, the press photogs back in the day didn't have much choice when it came to film speeds (slow!), and look at the splendid hand-held work they did! I think with practice one can learn to hold the camera very steady using the tried-and-true techniques of old: stand relaxed, erect (but not stiff) with feet comfortably apart, steady oneself against nearby object if possible, grip camera with left hand inserted behind strap and right hand supporting the bed ("front door"), and trip shutter while exhaling in a slow, controlled manner (don't hold breath!). Then put the camera on a tripod and fire away! (Remember the last instruction on those dumb electric hand dryers: wipe hands on pants.)
Joshua Szulecki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also mention that my FP shutter isn't currently an option, it has a nasty tendancy of jamming up unless I loosen the screws around the shutter release button and a few other spots.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have conserns about Flutot's shutter speed test. They always rate all large format shutters around 1/60 second for speeds above 1/60. If they use a tester that measures the open to closed time at the center of the lens then its accurate for the type of measurement. The technically correct method is from 1/3 open to 2/3 closed as the first and final 1/3 of shutter blade movement adds verry little to the total exposure.
I would load up some 400 speed film, shoot form a tripod and test each speed at the equivelent exposeure of the same scene and process all sheets the same and compare the results. 1/400 may well be off but within acceptable limits for your shooting.
I've shot both 100 and 400 handheld with questionable results. A monopod helps.

Quote:
(Remember the last instruction on those dumb electric hand dryers: wipe hands on pants.)

No, its restart as many times as necessary to get your hands dry or wipe on your pants when tired of waiting for the dryer to work.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, its restart as many times as necessary to get your hands dry or wipe on your pants when tired of waiting for the dryer to work.

I like my way better. It doesn't waste electricity.
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In full sun, 200 is probably enough for handheld work, but for a little more flexibility I like Tri-X at EI 640 in Acufine, which gives me the option of, say, using a yellow or orange filter outdoors or having enough speed for an indoor shot or deep shade.
Springback

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David A. Goldfarb wrote:
In full sun, 200 is probably enough for handheld work, but for a little more flexibility I like Tri-X at EI 640 in Acufine, which gives me the option of, say, using a yellow or orange filter outdoors or having enough speed for an indoor shot or deep shade.

David, whats the grain situation with tri-x at 640 in accufine?
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grain isn't too bad in 4x5". I target the negs with this combo for grade 3 usually to keep the grain down.

Here's new TX/35mm--

Here's old TX/6x6cm--

Here's new TXP/4x5"--

Springback

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: