Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

improve holder insertion ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: improve holder insertion ? Reply with quote

Some view cameras enjoy a lever that over-rides the springs, making holder insertion easier.

My Crown has manly-man springs and doesn't cooperate as readily as I'd like... camera and middle-weight tripod want to move in the struggle..

Is there a mechanism or modification that makes this easier?

I don't want to mess with the temper of the springs...but they're a lot more resistant than those on my Century.

One thing I MAY do is attach teflon tape (I've gotten it from an archery supply shop in the past) or velvet strips to top and bottom of the camera back, where there is some significant friction. Wouldn't affect focus.

Better/other ideas?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your Crown have a Graphic back or a Graflok back?
Graflok=remove the focusing panel and lube the springs with 3 in 1 machine oil or TriFlow using 1 to 2 drops at the piviot points and wipe off the excess after operating a few times. Do Not use Water Dispersant #40 as it will dry up leaving a gummy residue that perpetuates the problem.

Wax the edges of the film holders with Hosehold Parafin or auto finish wax.

Place finger tips of Left hand against top edge of camera body and pull the focus panel out with the thumb of the left hand and insert the film holder with the right. Use the same procedure of pulling the focus panel out/away from the film holder before attempting to remove the film holder on any type of camera back.
djon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, thanks for the suggestions....

Quiet Slick Teflon ARROW REST SILENCING TAPE Archery(#7221071369)

..at the auction site.

That's the Teflon tape I mentioned. I have some around here somewhere if I can find it. It's pretty tough. Seems miraculous that someone gets stickum attached to teflon

I imagine attaching it where top and bottom of filmholders come in contact. Those areas are rough on my back, so maybe just smoothing them would help. Or paraffin, per your suggestion.

Another idea is to screw/epoxy a small finger gripper of some kind on the left (non-insertion) side of the focusing panel..would make the technique you recommended a little easier, less likely to move the setup.

As you know, some Calumet, Cambo, Toyo have a levered bail that makes lifting the focusing panel easier...I imagined something like that might exist somewhere for Graflok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: