Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex 3 cell flash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fehklar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Graflex 3 cell flash Reply with quote

does anybody know where graflex 3 cell flash units may be purchased? willing to pay a fair wage for one. i need it to finish my dad's graflex camera. thanx
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an old story, fehklar. History has shown here that such messages are generally not valid, but rather juvenile attempts to score a StarWars accessory at a bargin price. This is not an equipment site but rather a source for helping genuine Graflex users.

Sorry if you don't fit that pattern, but the odds are greatly in my favor.

You can easily find dealers of Graflex equipment by searching on the main Graflex.org board.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that there are very realistic, though pricey, replica St*r W*rs light sabers on the market, which are much better than anything one could make at home, it makes even less sense than it did before to destroy Graflex flash handles. My advice is, grow up and just watch the movie again.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay has a warehouse full of the origional Graflex ones but only sell them off a few at a time to keep the price up. you might even be as lucky as me and get a camera and lens to boot.
fehklar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: graflex 3 cell flash gun Reply with quote

this is not some pathetic attempt to buy a graflex 3 cell flash for any kind of conversion. this is an attempt to help my 89 year old dad finish restoring his camera. he is a retired reporter/photographer for the la times. my kid has a masters replica lightsaber, so i don't need one for conversion. i am not a s.t.a.r.w.a.r.s. fan just a person trying to do something nice for my dad. i came to this forum for help after searching the web, but i can see that you are the one who needs to grow up. have a nice day
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the benefit of others looking for such equipment, I once again recommend the list of sellers found on links from the main Graflex.org page.

In addition, I recommend you spend some time on this site:
http://tinyurl.com/27lgz6
There you will find not only a place to put your "Wanted to buy" listings, but a broad list of excellent sources for used Graflex stuff, and lots of Graflex info on=line as well.

As fehklar found out, we have sensitivities here to the subject raised in my earlier response, and because those issues caused this board to be down for about a year, make no apologies for raising them.
tsgrimm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alecj,

You have my vote.

Some folks think that this is a fast-food place and if they aren't immediately gratified they go away hurt.
sobahguy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Graflex 3 cell flash Reply with quote

fehklar wrote:
does anybody know where graflex 3 cell flash units may be purchased? willing to pay a fair wage for one. i need it to finish my dad's graflex camera. thanx

fehklar, I'm not posting to add my beats to the same drum that others have beaten upon, but.....
I will be totally honest with you. I was at a camera/photo expo in my area not long ago and finally had a chance to meet and talk to a REAL gentleman by the name of Bill Cress. He operates a classic camera and accessories business in New Jersey and he also maintains the website www.flashbulbs.com
Anyway, at this photo expo in the Boston area, he had on his dealer table several of the 3-cell Graflex REPLICAS 4 sail. They immediately caught my eye and, as a Graflex user with a well-trained eye looking for authenticity, I picked up a couple to inspect. And struck up a conversation with Mr. Cress in the process. Lo and behold, did he make a believer out of me!!! Those replicas were practically indistinguishable from a real-deal 60+ year-old specimen. I really had to look close to tell they were replicas---e.g. the area in and around the bipost plugs was pristine and shiny, as opposed to dusty, dull and oxidized.
Mr Cress also allowed me to put 3 batteries and a flashbulb into one of the replicas and I pressed the red button. BAM!!! The Press 22 bulb fired off immediately. Now I wouldn't swear by the replica's ability to sync with a shutter without a solenoid, but it did fire that bulb as advertised that it would.
So the point to my story is to perhaps give Mr. Cress a call about purchasing one from him directly, or he does occasionally offer them 4 sail on e*ay. If one of these replicas would pretty much satisfy me as a Graflex user, they likewise should absolutely make happy any and all galaxy-hopping Jedi wannabes, thus saving the real ones for all of us Earth-and-gravity-bound Graflex fanatics.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes you think!
Fehklar doesn't bother to thank Sobahguy or Alecj for the info on where to buy Graflex items. After replies from Alecj, Henry, and 45PSS, Fehklar says one of those gents is "the one who needs to grow up"!
Alecj states "Sorry if you don't fit that pattern, but the odds are greatly in my favor." in his first reply should Fehklar be genuine. Alecj DID NOT call Fehklar juvenile, merely stated that GENERALLY that sort of post is a juvenile action. I don't see anything in either the post by Henry or the one by 45PSS to call for that response by Fehklar!
I guess we know who has a juvenile attitude!

C. Henry (not the Henry who replied to the original post)
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I *did* use the phrase "grow up" in my response, which I now regret doing. I was in one of my snide, bitchy moods, and I hereby apologize to fehklar. Whether or not his inquiry was legit, Alec's posts explain why we are rather touchy about this topic, and tend to react, or over-react, to such postings.

As for my other advice to fehklar, watch the movie again, I stand by that. It's a classic, as I recognized when I first saw it with my six-year-old son. He is now a fanatic, and actually owns one of those replica light sabres, which is how I knew about them. He also has one of those R2D2 voice-command robots that K-Mart was selling some years ago. Neat stuff!

Last edited by Henry on Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I've been wondering when a group of this site's members are planning to get together and go hunting the hot rod builders and hanging them for cutting up Buckett T's and choping 49 Mercs.
GraflexFlashLover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny because the replicas some of you speak of have really driven down the price on the genuine 3 cells. I just picked up a real Graflex off eBay for considerably less than what the replicas fo gor - around $150. IMO its much nicer to have a vintage one.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
and I've been wondering when a group of this site's members are planning to get together and go hunting the hot rod builders and hanging them for cutting up Buckett T's and choping 49 Mercs.

Been doin' it for years, especially around the "Woodward Dream Cruise" And at this poiint, at least the T bucket is 99% repro material anyway.

Signed,
Les

Participant in numerous Glidden tours and three cross country tours; New York to San Francisco, Montreal to Tijuana & Seattle to Philadelphia, in the same original 1912 Buick roadster.
klotz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Bulbs Reply with quote

I have quite a stock of bulbs, more than I need, and would be happy to sell some if anybody has an urgent need.
Leigh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: