Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help: 2x3 Century Non-Graphic Roll Back Delimma

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psmith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Help: 2x3 Century Non-Graphic Roll Back Delimma Reply with quote

I have a 2x3 Century with graflok back and for a variety of reasons want to pursue use of a non-Graphic rollfilm back (Horseman, Linhof, Mamiya, etc). I have used RH 8’s. Too many problems. I’ve been researching this issue by going over all of the past comments members have mailed into the Help Pages on alien film backs. This issue is quite a quagmire. I’ve run up against a lot of contradictions about what will or won’t work. Here is what I know:
1. Mamiya RB67 backs will work on Century 2x3. Little disagreement.

The later two model revisions of RB 67 seem to lock the slide so this is a problem. The later models are frequently available ******* (reasonable most of the time and often in great condition) but there is no information how to get around the use of newer model backs like the RB67 Pro S and the slide lock when used on a Graphic 2x3. How can this be done?

2. Mamiya RB67 is fine for 6x7 format but I’m also interested in 6x9 format. Horseman 2x3 (6x9) rollback WILL WORK/ WON’T WORK on a Century 2x3. So who’s right? I have a chance to get one in good shape for a good price but I’m skittish if it will work.

3. Linholf 2x3 (6x9) MIGHT work on Century 2x3. Also have a line on one but don’t know if it will work. Any help here would be appreciated. Phil
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The later two model revisions of RB 67 seem to lock the slide so this is a problem. The later models are frequently available ******* (reasonable most of the time and often in great condition) but there is no information how to get around the use of newer model backs like the RB67 Pro S and the slide lock when used on a Graphic 2x3. How can this be done?

Let me see, its been 125 years since I owned a RB67 with a Pro s back or so it seems. The darkslide lockout prevents the darkslide from being removed when the back is off the camera. It is a simple spring loaded internal hook with either a pin that protrudes and is operated by a lever on the body or a plate behind a hole that a pin on the body operates. Very simple, easy to tape pin in or insert a pin into the port and tape or glue in place whichever way it is set up. The other lockout prevents the shutter from being triped until the film is advanced or the frame lockout lever is released, very simular to the Graflex Roll Film Holders. The darkslide lockout is on the right and the shutter on the left when mounted on the camera. One is a pin the other is a palte on the back.

Light seals on the RB back turn to a sticky goo when they go bad and there are light seals under the top and bottom cover plates also, moderate difficulity to replace. (Digging the goo out and keeping everything clean)
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to shoot 2.25" x 3.25" -- Graflex didn't use foul alien unclean metric units -- there's always the Adapt-A-Roll 620. Read about 'em in one of the FAQs on this board.
R_J

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

With respect to Horseman 6x9cm backs, their dimensions are identical to the Wista 6x9cm roll film backs. This assertion applies only to the modern Horseman 6x9cm backs; I'm unclear if the older style for the Horseman technical 6x9cm cameras used the same type. A Wista 6x9cm roll film back fits the Century Graflex perfectly.

A Silvestri bellows hood magnifying unit (much more light transmission without scatter, more defining in character than the hood) which fits the Linhof and standard 6x9cm film backs like the 6x9cm Century Graphic and Silvestri cameras is also another consideration.

However a Horseman Polaroid back will not fit properly on a Century Graphic 6x9cm slide-lock rear. The issue with your RH-8 has been noted with respect to wheel-operated film advance versions of the RH-8. Possibly,this is also influenced by the age and maintenance of the RH-8, since there are no issues with any of the RH-8 which I use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: