Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalart "Silver" Rangefinder adjustment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Kalart "Silver" Rangefinder adjustment Reply with quote

Okay...I'm tired of bugging Bert with all my questions, so I'll ask the world. I have a Kalart Rangefinder that I need to adjust the rear "long" scale. This model has a bright metal cover and, internally, has mirrors at the top and bottom rather than a prism at the bottom. The scale adjustments are inside. The front short scale has a tiny screw to loosen and is easy to adjust. However, the rear, long, scale does not have the loosening screw as shown in all the info I can find. My question is simple. How do I adjust the rear scale? It is set on 2 and I need to move it to 9.5 for a 101mm Raptar on a mini Speed. Thanks for any help. Fred.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the info you need or some you already have?
http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/early-kalart.html
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had already read that info. I have one of those on a 4X5 that also needs work. The Kalart RF I'm referring to has a "silver" cover that is removed with one screw on top and one on the bottom....no external adjustments. I haven't seen this model before. I don't see any obvious way to loosen the rear slider so that it can be adjusted. The usual screw in the little slot that you loosen by turning it clockwise simply isn't there. There's one large screw that would allow the two halves to separate, but I believe to do that would be a big mistake.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I found this one using Google advanced for Kalart Rangefinder.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~lommen9/kalart/index.html
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: RF adjustment screw Reply with quote

You will probably find a hex head screw sandwiched between the arm and the RF backplate...I made a wrench to loosen and tighten it with, as the back once removed, requires 14 fingers and 2 hands to hold everything in place while reinstalling the backplate!
Never bugged by questions...maybe the long winded answers are the problem!
Have a nice day.......Bert
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert to my rescue...again. Yes, you sent me a wrench and instructions awhile back, which, in my senility, I have mis-placed. I would have never figured this one out. I'll try to find the wrench or make another one. Many thanks, Bert, you have saved the day!! And, I'm sure, I'll be "bugging" you many more times...and I always look forward to your long-winded answers!! Fred.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Thanks for the link, 45PSS. I have communicated with Jo Lommen in the past. He is always very helpful. His info on the Kalart doesn't give the details for this adjustment. I think Bert may be the only person in the world who knows about this one. I have a good photo showing the location of this adjustment. If anyone wants it, I'll email it to them. clnfrd9@kentuckylakes.net
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the great little wrench Bert made me some time back (which I had completely fogotten about)...was able to loosen the hex-head screw located between the rear scale and back plate...and adjusted the slider to 9.5 for my 101mm Raptar. That hex-head is barely visible in the very narrow crack between the scale and its slider and the back of the rangefinder. Problem solved. Thanks to all. Fred.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For future reference, the manual for the Kalart 'F' RF can be found at http://www.datelinelondon.de/files.php , along with a lot of other useful manuals and data.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Manual...wrong model. The one we've been discussing here is, I believe, a Model E since the serial number begins with E. It has no external adjustments. Thanks. Fred.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'E' manual is there as well, listed as plain 'Kalart RF manual'. It's also here or linked through here.
I've seen a few silver finish Kalart 'E', but very few. The vast majority were black. I guess the silver ones were the straight 'E', while the black ones were E1, E2, ect up to E6.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top....I hate to continue to disagree with you, but if you look at Page 6 and screw number 2, my rangefinder does not have that. As explained above, the adjusting slider on the rear rear scale is loosened by a hex head screw accessible in the tiny space between the rear scale and the back plate. My rangefinder also does not have a prism...it has a mirror at the the bottom. There is no manual that fits my rangefinder here or anywhere else that I have seen. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: