Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing something from the Polaroid 550

View previous topic :: View next topic  
engelgrafik

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm new to LF... I don't even have a LF camera yet, but I know what I want to do. I want to shoot that sweet Fuji FP-100c45 4x5 packfilm. So I started by buying a 550 back off of eBay.

However... it's missing something. You know those two blue tabs that stick out from the holder? Well, the object (I'm assuming it's the "darkslide") is missing.

I'm wondering if anybody knows:

a. who sells them online (besides eBay)

b. if the darkslide is necessary (call me a fool... I'm not experienced yet with how to prevent premature exposure with LF... lol), or if whatever that thing with the 2 blue tabs is is necessary.

c. does anybody sell the Fuji pa-45? Can't even find it via Froogle.com.. and froogle almost ALWAYS has a source if it's available in the retail at all.

d. um... never really thought about it, but are there any Speed Graphics that CAN'T use the Polaroid 550? From what I've studied, the Speed Graphic must have a Graflok in order for the Polaroid 550 to work, as the 550 is Graflok compatible... is there any place on the web that shows and compares the visual difference between Graflok Speed Graphics and non-Graflok?

Sorry if you think I'm crazy to invest all this time in shooting polaroids with a Graflex and not even care about actual sheet film, which is why most people go LF. But have you SEEN what comes out of that Fuji film? I saw some shots done by a guy with his Crown Graphic and they were nothing short of gorgeous. I've been using FP-100c in my cheapo Land cameras just to tide me over until then...

Thanks for any help

Doug Kerr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Jeff,

Quote:

On 2006-09-24 22:02, engelgrafik wrote:

However... it's missing something. You know those two blue tabs that stick out from the holder? Well, the object (I'm assuming it's the "darkslide") is missing.

On a 550 holder, there is a dark slide, and it has a full width handle, blue on one side. The slide itself, on the face matching the blue side of the handle, has a diagonal blue stripe (visible through the aperture of the holder when the slide is in place).

Quote:

Them which? I think KEH sells the 550 holders used.

Quote:
b. if the darkslide is necessary (call me a fool... I'm not experienced yet with how to prevent premature exposure with LF... lol), or if whatever that thing with the 2 blue tabs is is necessary.

The dark slide is not necessary if you plan to put the film pack in the holder, put the holder on the camera, and take all the exposures in the film pack before removing the holder from the camera.

The dark slide is needed (after the cardbord dark slide of the pack itself has been removed) to cover the upcoming frame so the holder with partially-used pack can be safely removed from the camera.

Quote:
c. does anybody sell the Fuji pa-45? Can't even find it via Froogle.com.. and froogle almost ALWAYS has a source if it's available in the retail at all.

I don't know what Fuji pa-45 is. B&H sells Fuji instant ("Polaroid") pack film of various types.

Quote:
d. um... never really thought about it, but are there any Speed Graphics that CAN'T use the Polaroid 550? From what I've studied, the Speed Graphic must have a Graflok in order for the Polaroid 550 to work, as the 550 is Graflok compatible... is there any place on the web that shows and compares the visual difference between Graflok Speed Graphics and non-Graflok?

The 550 holder is happiest with a Graflok back, but I have been led to believe that it can be used on some Graphic ("spring") backs, although it pushes the focusing plate back a long way. I haven't tried mine that way yet, though.

Most models of the Speed Graphic, Pacemaker Crown Graphic, and Graphic View may be found with either Graflok or Graphic backs in place. Here's how to tell the difference:

On a Graflok back, the focusing plate is held in place on the back by two metal arms (usually chrome-plated), which engage "hooks" near the center of the back. The focusing plate can be removed by pressing these arms toward the lens (they have a serrated part to help your fingers from sliding when you do this) to disengage them from the hooks and then sliding the plate to the right until it can be removed.

The Graflok back proper has two shiny metal "sliders" at the top and bottom. Once the focusing plate has been removed, these can be moved toward each other (they are mounted on diagonal slots) to engage an accessory (such as the 550 holder).

On a Graphic ("spring") back, the focusing plate is held by two double-ended spring arms, connected "permanently" to the back with a screw in the center of each. The focuing plate will move back to admit the film holder, but cannot be removed (without removing those screws) and there is no mechanism for holding an accessory to the back with the plate taken off.

The two types of back are illustrated (somewhat) here:

http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#GraflokBack

Good luck with your Polaroid shooting. That's how we will be using our Graffies.

Doug

[ This Message was edited by: Doug Kerr on 2006-09-25 04:23 ]
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Polaroid? The "550" adapter did not go off the market all that long ago.

The part is an uncomplicated metal darkslide, without any sort of "trapping" (which probably is why yours is missing). I am not in a position to take a micrometer to mine, but it seems to be somewhere in the vicinity of .020 to .032 ins. thick. I don't imagine it would be difficult to make one out of sheet brass.
engelgrafik

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-09-25 04:01, Doug Kerr wrote:
Hi, Jeff,

Quote:

On 2006-09-24 22:02, engelgrafik wrote:

On a 550 holder, there is a dark slide, and it has a full width handle, blue on one side. The slide itself, on the face matching the blue side of the handle, has a diagonal blue stripe (visible through the aperture of the holder when the slide is in place).

Quote:

Them which? I think KEH sells the 550 holders used.

Quote:

The dark slide is not necessary if you plan to put the film pack in the holder, put the holder on the camera, and take all the exposures in the film pack before removing the holder from the camera.

The dark slide is needed (after the cardbord dark slide of the pack itself has been removed) to cover the upcoming frame so the holder with partially-used pack can be safely removed from the camera.

Quote:

I don't know what Fuji pa-45 is. B&H sells Fuji instant ("Polaroid") pack film of various types.

Quote:

The 550 holder is happiest with a Graflok back, but I have been led to believe that it can be used on some Graphic ("spring") backs, although it pushes the focusing plate back a long way. I haven't tried mine that way yet, though.

Most models of the Speed Graphic, Pacemaker Crown Graphic, and Graphic View may be found with either Graflok or Graphic backs in place. Here's how to tell the difference:

On a Graflok back, the focusing plate is held in place on the back by two metal arms (usually chrome-plated), which engage "hooks" near the center of the back. The focusing plate can be removed by pressing these arms toward the lens (they have a serrated part to help your fingers from sliding when you do this) to disengage them from the hooks and then sliding the plate to the right until it can be removed.

The Graflok back proper has two shiny metal "sliders" at the top and bottom. Once the focusing plate has been removed, these can be moved toward each other (they are mounted on diagonal slots) to engage an accessory (such as the 550 holder).

On a Graphic ("spring") back, the focusing plate is held by two double-ended spring arms, connected "permanently" to the back with a screw in the center of each. The focuing plate will move back to admit the film holder, but cannot be removed (without removing those screws) and there is no mechanism for holding an accessory to the back with the plate taken off.

The two types of back are illustrated (somewhat) here:

http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#GraflokBack

Good luck with your Polaroid shooting. That's how we will be using our Graffies.

Doug

[ This Message was edited by: Doug Kerr on 2006-09-25 04:23 ]
engelgrafik

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help Doug...

I went to KEH and bought a 550 for cheap, and even a beat up but usable 545 for $19. Wow.

Oh, also.. the PA-45 is Fuji's 4x5 packfilm holder. Basically it's the holder for its own film. Not too terribly available though.. I hear rumors you can only get 'em in Canada. But I heard here on the forums (forget which thread) that it's actually a bit better than the Polaroid.... more smooth operation. Whatever that means.
engelgrafik

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-09-27 07:06, t.r.sanford wrote:
Have you tried Polaroid? The "550" adapter did not go off the market all that long ago.

The part is an uncomplicated metal darkslide, without any sort of "trapping" (which probably is why yours is missing). I am not in a position to take a micrometer to mine, but it seems to be somewhere in the vicinity of .020 to .032 ins. thick. I don't imagine it would be difficult to make one out of sheet brass.

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't actually try Polaroid. However, I guess I could just go down there and ask 'em. I live about a mile from their World HQ in Waltham, MA. In fact, I was just there last Thursday... they have a store there with lots of goodies....
Stephen Furley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This sounds like a description of the darkslide on the smaller 405 pack film holder; which is made of fairly flexible thin black plastic, and unusually, inserts from the left hand side of the holder.

The darkslide on all of the 550 holders I have seen is made of metal, has the diagonal blue stripe, and a 'stop' line, on both sides, inserts from the right side of the holder, and has two small blue plastic tabs, with a gap between them where the white 'pull' tab on the film is.

If there is a different slide which has been made for the 550 I'd be interested to hear about it, as I am at present working on what will hopefully become a very detailed website about all of the Polaroid holders. There's not much there yet, but in a week or so there should be enough for me to post the URL here for people to comment on. I won't do so yet, as there are some incorrect photographs there, just as placeholders, which may cause confusion if they're seen.

I've managed to find examples of six different holders, the Graphic roll film back 9108, the Polaroid pack film holders 405 and 550, and the sheet film holders 500, 545 and 545i; I'm only missing the 545 pro at the moment, as far as I know, unless there were any other holders which I haven't discovered yet.

I have the original boxes for the roll and sheet holders, but not for the 405 and 550; can anybody supply me with a photograph of these boxes plese?

I'm going to contact Polaroid and ask for permission to reproduce the users instructions for these holders, but the 9108 presents a problem; the body of the thing is clearly made by Polaroid, it seems to be that from the model 100 camera, but the mounting plate seems to be made by Graflex. It was marketed as a Graflex product, in the familiar blue box, so who owns the copyright to the instructions?
Stephen Furley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've created the first very small part of my Polaroid holders web pages. The links at the bottom of each page to return to the top page of the section, and to move on to the next holder are not showing up in the right colour, but the do underline if you move the pouse over them, and they do work. I'll fix this at the weekend.

The photographs are pretty grotty; they're just some quick snaps that I put in as placeholders; I've taken lots of decent ones, but haven't had time to scan the film yet.

I'd be grateful if anybody could point out any factual errors they find in what's there so far, also any other holders that I'm not aware of, and any dates when each model was introduced and withdrawn.

The index page is here:
http://web.mac.com/srfurley/iWeb/Site/Polaroid%20holders.html
[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: