Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For Your Viewing Pleasure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photos removed
The group of red flowers was created with a Kodak Comerical View with either a Kodak 12" comerical ektar or a Wollensak 10". The Orchids were created with a Sinar F1, the closeup profile a Optar 135, the other Orchids a Symmar 150. All images E100SW (4 years out of date; kept @ 200F) scaned on a Microtek 8700 Pro using Silverfast software @ 300dpi. Minor corrections in photoshop.
Charles.

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2006-12-06 18:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 45pss on 2007-02-17 18:43 ]
pv17vv

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles, this proves vintage lenses still deliver fine pics.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-12-04 08:41, pv17vv wrote:
Charles, this proves vintage lenses still deliver fine pics.
Did you ever doubt it?
camz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles, What do you think of the Symmar?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-12-05 14:44, camz wrote:
PMFJI.

I shoot a 135/5.6 convertible Symmar on my 2x3 Graphics. I also shoot a 127/4.7 Tominon, ex-Polaroid CU-5. On 2x3 its a tossup, neither is much better than the other and one could be happy with either. I expect that the 135 Symmar would be better on 4x5 because of its greater coverage.

I also have a 210/5.6 Boyer Zircon with horrible ugly cleaning marks on the front element. In the same class as the convertible Symmar or perhaps the subsequent Symmar-S. On 2x3, cleaning marks notwithstanding, it shoots very well.

I don't think that, subject to having the coverage needed and being in not too bad shape, any lens in this class (Sironar, Symmar, Zircon) would be a bad mistake.

Cheers,

Dan
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-12-05 14:44, camz wrote:

On a scale of 1 to 10 a 7.5 @ 150 and a 2 at the convertible length of 265. Compaired to my Congo 150 the Congo is a 8 up to 25 feet and a 6 after that while the Symmar starts at 7 for close stuff and improves at distances greater that 25 feet. I switched in the photos presented from the Optar to the Symmar solely to gain greater camera to subject distance while retaining the image size I wanted. The winter sun only makes it to my patio for 3 hours in the mid afternoon during the fall/winter months and the Optar would have required me to be so close as to get camera shadows on the subject.
There is a wildlife preserve on the SF Bay a few miles away with a 3 1/2 mile hiking trail where I have shot the Congo, Optar and Symmar on my Speed and the Optar and Symmar are tied for good (sharp) results.
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2006-12-05 18:32 ]
troublemaker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Charles.
I especially like the profile shot with the Optar. They are also one of my personal favorite lenses. I ran a Symmar 135 on both my 4x5 and 2x3's for a brief period and the Optar won out hands down. Which surprized me because the Symmar I had was a Linhof, and the glass and shutter appeared flawless and in excellent condition (I eventually decided it was just a dog that slipped through the so called Linhof selection). But after comparing a lot of lenses, I find that German glass like the Xenar and Angulons tend to be a bit sharper than American Optics of the same period. Having looked through a bunch of 135 Optars, I am under the impression that this was one of the more consistent quality lenses from Wollensak. On the other hand, another widely distributed lens, the 101 series Optar (Raptar) can vary a lot in image quality from barely useable to excellent.
Anyway, thanks for posting the images, always nice to see what folks are up to...

[ This Message was edited by: troublemaker on 2006-12-06 13:46 ]
pv17vv

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, no doubts about it, but it is always good to see it in the facts. It is so rare…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: