Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polaroid 405 Conversion for 3x4?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone converted or made an adapter to use a Polaroid 405 with the 3x4 Series B?
Would be grateful if anyone was willing to share plans, pictures or ideas.
Thanks.
--Patrick
Les

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2001 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've converted a 3x4 Speed that had a Graflex back, so the conversion should be the same. I also did this conversion with the back of the camera removed from the camera. The only thing that holds it on is a series of screws across the top bottom and usually one on the right (fil slot) side.

My Polaroid holder was an older model that used a wire bale to hold the pack film in place, newer ones have a plastic bale I think it should be the same, but I don't know.

1) remove the metal frame from the holder. This frame is the part that fits a 4x5 Graflok back.

2) On the camera peel up the leather on the lower rail with a thin butter knife or spatula. This will reveal the screws to remove the metal rib that fits in the bottom groove of the film holder. Remove the metal rib.

3) Place the P back on the film back and carefully measure how much of the lower rail needs to be removed to make it fit. At this point I removed the wood rail (screws from the back) and trimmed it on my table saw. The same effect could be accomplished with a deft hand and a wood chisel and not removing the rail, or a smaller amount could be removed from both the top and bottom, but I didn't see a reason for the extra work.

At this point the back should fit, but still has that nasty Polaroid shift to the right. I chose to remove the rib that stops a normal film holder (on the left) and center the holder on the back. Some screws from the camera back to the P back and some black silicone complete the "interface".

5) I then took a nice adjustable loupe and some glass that fit inside the back to check the focus. I placed the glass on some newspaper and adjusted the loupe to focus on the type (the far side of the glass). With the glass now mounted in the P-back I could accurately check the focus ( I used a kneaded eraser to hold the glass in) Since the rangefinder was already coincident all I had to do was readjust the infinity stops slightly.

For those of you that caught it, yes the thickness of the glass does have an effect on the focus, but it's so small that the hysterysis in the camera and the relatively low resolution of the Polaroid film negates it.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2001-06-13 11:27 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: