Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

compact graflex 5x7 rebuild

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamiehy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a 5x7 compact graflex which was in pretty rough shape. I thought it was a 3x5 when I bought it on ebay. It had about a dozen 5x7 holders.two are single holders kind of like wet plate holders marked for autochromes. Anyone know about them? Leather needs reattaching, etc. One big thing is that the bar that attaches to the top bellows is missing on the hinged bellows piece. Don't know what it looks like. I'll probably wing it but if anyone has knowledge on this let me know. Also the shutter curtain was stuck together (probably for years) I carefully unstuck it and was able to separate it without tears. Should I do anything but clean it up? I need to reattach it to the top spool. What glue do people recommend?
It's my first time taking apart a graflex, though I'm used to doing cirkuts. Any recommended guides? I hope to restore and shoot with it if I can.
Thanks, Jamie
Les

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autochromes were the first color transparency material, From around 07 till Kodachrome came out. Try looking it up on wikipedia.org. Impressive stuff!

and congrats on bagging a rare Graflex!
jamiehy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Les Did they make holders just for autochromes?
Is the 5x7 compact uncommon ? I don't really know which on's are unusual. I'll be curious to see if I can get it back in operating shape
Jamie
Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3x5 is certainly more common to find. Just a guess I'd say you'll find 4 to 5 3x5 Compact Graflex before a 5x7 goes buy, it might even be more
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Leather needs reattaching, etc. One big thing is that the bar that attaches to the top bellows is missing on the hinged bellows piece. Don't know what it looks like. I'll probably wing it but if anyone has knowledge on this let me know.

Are you refering to the View Hood? The bar that holds the view hood to the viewing door is the width of the hood when raised to be just touching the door, turned 900 for 3/32 to 1/8 inch toward the door then turned outward toward the outer edges of the camera 900. It should stop 1/32 from outer edges of the retainer brackets. The exact deminsion of the turns in the bar will be determined by what it takes to get the view hood to clear the door when opening and closing, hood should not drag on the door but just clear it throughout the entire movement of the door.

Is it the lens bellows? Here Graflex varied from model to model. My early RB Auto just has a flat bar, approximately 1/8 inch thick by 1/4 wide with a screw at the top and bottom, on each side of the bellows at the body. My RB series B (Tele rebaged) has a metal flange around the body end of the bellows with screws 1/4 width of the side in from the edge of each corner.

Quote:
Also the shutter curtain was stuck together (probably for years) I carefully unstuck it and was able to separate it without tears. Should I do anything but clean it up?

YES! Lay it out flat and saturate it with Lemon Pledge. After 30 minutes to 1 hour wipe it down and rub in the the lemon oil and wax in the pledge. Do not be conserned about any moisture that collects on the surface. Turn the bellows over and do the same to the other side. Heavy duty paper towels work well but cotton cloth or towels will work also.
Quote:
I need to reattach it to the top spool. What glue do people recommend?

I prefer latex/neoprene based contact cement while others use Elmers Rubber cement. Elmers ProBond contact cement or Dap Weldwood NonFlamable contact cement are the latex/neoprene ones that I am familiar with, work easily, can be assembled wet and excess rubs off when dry. These glues work for the body leather also as does the Lemon Pledge.

When reattaching the shutter cloth to the top roller care must be taken to ensure that it is square to the roller/camera body to get proper shutter operation. Member bertsaunders has a lot of expertice with the Graflex shutters and repair in general, his email is in most of his post and he will send you the info that you request such as curtain replacement instructions and shutter tensioning instructions.

I like the tractor shots on your site.

Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2006-09-28 20:36 ]
jamiehy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Les and Charles
I'm still figuring out the differences in various models
The viewing hood is in fine condition. The compact graflex has, as I've just discovered, a moving rear bellows attachment panel that swings toward the film plane when the camera folds up,as well as a second curtain setup, that blocks the light when the camera is put away (I think). the top wooden bar where the bellows attaches is missing. A friend has a compact graflex taken apart for restoration. I'm going to go over and see it's construction. The leather is just pealing off the wood, and I was going to just use weldwood contact cement for that, and was going to do that same for attaching the curtain to the roller. After spooling ansd shooting my own cirkut film, I have become very aware of the need to have the material attached very straight for it to roll and unroll smoothly. I could see the shutter being even more important, so I'll be careful I,'ll try the lemon pledge on the curtain. Thanks for the comment about the tractor shots. I just did a shot with my 8 and 16 cirkuts of 50 steam tractors and have only developed the 8" film which is 10 feet long. The 16 film is 18 feet, and I have to figure out the best way to develop it.
Thanks, Jamie
jamiehy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also is there anything I can do for shrunken leather? does lemon pledge help with that?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just softens it. I have saved 2 shutter curtains that were starting to crack with the Pledge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: