Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken Grafmatic darkslide handle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DenisP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I hope someone can help: I got a nice 4x5 Grafmatic with 6 good septums, but the plastic darkslide handle has broken in transport.

I'm looking at the remaining stubs, and can't figure how to make a DIY replacement, since the plastic base of the handle (secured by three studs) seems to be going inside the magazine frame.

I'm thinking of making some kind of replacement handle, since it's practically unusable as it is now.

I'm not sure if I should just drill two small holes in the plastic handle base and attach some kind of wire loop, or just remove also the plastic base and try to fashion a new base with a handle, and attach it to the darkslide somehow...

I wonder if any of you can offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Denis
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a hard handle would be better than a wire loop, so the darkslide can be pressed all the way in firmly after advancing the film. I think what I'd do is make a wooden handle, drill two holes in it to correspond to the stubs of the old handle, fill the holes with epoxy, and attach it to the stubs.

Depending on how long the stubs are, you may have to cut away some wood on the new handle or make it asymmetrical, so that it doesn't interfere with the silver hook used to pull out the film drawer when advancing the film.

[ This Message was edited by: David A. Goldfarb on 2006-08-12 12:12 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The darkslide handle is attached with 3 very small rivets. Turn number wheel to anything but X. If lockout lever (next to darkslide handle) is not at the outside edge of its slot push inward on the darkslide with a push stick that will fit into the darkslide slot. Using your thumbs push darkslide out so that you can grasp it with your fingers. Once you have the darkslide sliped out so that you can access the handle stubs, drill out the rivets, assemble all the handle pieces in proper order on a piece of heavy paper and make yourself a template. Now cut out a piece of 1/8 ABS or Acrylic sheet plastic to match the pattern. Use 2-56 screws to attach the handle to the darkslide peining the ends so that they will not unscrew once cut flush with the darkslide and file down the heads as needed so that they will clear the case when inserting the darkslide. Brass screws work best. Use #1 screws if you can find them. You may need to cut a slit into the bottom edge of the new handle or trim the thickness down so that it is centered over the darkslide.
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2006-08-12 22:59 ]
DenisP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, I guess I'll be able to do something about it...

Denis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: