Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of tripod should I get

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjviitas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just procured a crown graphic special and am almost finished getting it tuned up for use as a field camera. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability of going to a camera store to try out some tripods.

Any ideas on something sturdy enough for my camera as well as economical. I will be using the camera almost exclusively for landscapes. Weight should not be too much of a problem but size might be since I will be spending alot of time covering rough terrain with other gear besides a camera.

Hedgehog
ImageMaker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what you can get on the edge of nowhere, but I use a Porter Cable surveying tripod (reasonably light, very sturdy, collapses to just over 3 feet tall and has a carrying strap, or expands to put the camera as much as 6 feet off the ground with a good leg spread) that cost just over US$100, and on it I have mounted a "Bogen by Manfrotto" head with pan and 2-way tilt for which I paid $25 in "shopworn new" condition. Does a fine job with my 4x5 Anniversary Speed on it, and fits all my lighter cameras as well. The tripod itself you can probably buy from a catalog or web page; the head, you'll have to shop around a bit for.

BTW, the Porter Cable tripod is unusual, in having a standard 1/4-20 mounting screw; most survey tripods have 5/8-13 mounting screws and won't take photographic gear.

pjviitas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.

After looking around at some other posts I ended up going with a Bogen 3001N legs from for $99.99USD and a Bogen 3030 head for $59.75USD. I found both items on E-bay.

I also found a 15mm circular bubble level for $6.99USD on E-bay.

Hopefully this set up works.

Best Regards, Peter
newspeedgraphicuser

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid you're going to be dissappointed in the 3001 series for large format. I have owned them in the past and currently have one and use it for 35mm or video with small camcorder. I currently use a 3011 with 3028 head and love it. I used to have a 3021 which allows legs to be moved out for lower height but with my Speed Grafic the 3011 with set leg adjustments is going to do just fine. The combo is really light. No need for a quick disconnect head either. The 3001 whill be needed to set at the heighest position and since the center post will be up all the way for that it's not going to be very stable. But in the past I did use a 3001 with 3025 head for my Mamiya C330f TLR for a number of yrs and got by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: