Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rails oon an old 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Speed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a old Speed Graphic in 2 1/4 x 3 /4 and already have an odd question. I noticed that the rails on the front door are not connected to the rear rails inside the body cavity. Is this normal, or are the links missing? Without some disassembly, I really can't see any holes or place where a link may have been connected. It seems odd that the rails would not be connected as in my 4x5 models. Anyone know about this for sure?

Other than that, what a great 'little' camera! A complete miniature of the 4x5 Speed and so _cute_! I'll bet it even takes pictures Too bad it's not a Graflok, but this model predates that by quite a bit I'll bet. Come to think of it, it's got a serial # 292645 if someone could date it for me. Don't care about my 4x5's, but this is an old one and it would nice to know.

Thanks,
Rich...
jdman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rails are not connected on the older minature speeds. I think it is because they do not have a drop front. Russ
Gandolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 50s it was common, or at least available, to buy a retro fit Graflok back. This back looks similar to a pacemaker 2x3 back but lacks the peepsight, and keeps the flash synchronization for the focal plane shutter. A standard pacemaker 2x3 Graflok back will fit too. There were also special springs that would allow you to semi-permanently mount the roll back in place.
jdman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I stand corrected the older 6x9 speeds do have a drop front, sort of. Since it does not lock I guess my question is: What do you do with it after you disconnect and drop it? Russ
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks to all!
1941... May explain why most of it is black. But not in too bad shape for it's age...

The front does drop, but really _drop_ by disconnecting the two side supports. I suppose if you had maybe a 20mm lens, you could leave it all the way in and then drop the front to get it out of the way? It's certainly an interesting predecessor to the later Speeds in it's mechanics. I think it's interesting that since the back rails don't move, if you happen to have the front rails out a bit when you go to move out the lens, it will come completely free of the camera. Now there's some front movements!

It took me a while to figure out that the two pins on the back (top-left) were for flash sych. I doubt I would change backs, even for a Graflok. But I wouldn't mind having one just to add to the 'gadget' value.

Gees, I hope I don't turn into a 'collector'

Thanks to all
Rich...
Les

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before the advent of the fold down stops on pacemakers, if you wanted to shoot close up/macro you had to drop the bed ( or run the front rails out of the way) pull the standard so it was loose, then attach it to the rail from the front.

On very old Folmer & Shwing cycle graphics, for wide angle lenses you dropped the bed completely and then added this short set of rails to get the lens out to focus. Those acessory rails are bringing prices of 1.5 to 2x the cost of the camera.
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I wondered about the stops too since they are screwed on. But pulling the standard out past the front of the rails? Ouch! This camera wouldn't put up with that! But I'm trying to soften up the bellows a bit...
Funny how I hate the fully automated cams of today and enjoy the 'manual' Graphics, but I guess there's always another step back and a limit to how far we're willing to go. On the other hand, it has a lot to do with available time (and money). I don't mind spending an hour for one photo. But there's times when the only way to go is a motor drive. A tool for every purpose. Just that some of them are more fun than others, and much more satisfying
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-12 20:28, RichS wrote:
Yep, I wondered about the stops too since they are screwed on. But pulling the standard out past the front of the rails? Ouch! This camera wouldn't put up with that! But I'm trying to soften up the bellows a bit...
Funny how I hate the fully automated cams of today and enjoy the 'manual' Graphics, but I guess there's always another step back and a limit to how far we're willing to go. On the other hand, it has a lot to do with available time (and money). I don't mind spending an hour for one photo. But there's times when the only way to go is a motor drive. A tool for every purpose. Just that some of them are more fun than others, and much more satisfying

Re pulling the standard out to the front of the rails, try it. I did that when I had a Mini (NOT Pacemaker) Speed, and it was easy. The trick was to rack the rails as far backwards as possible, then slide the front standard to the gap between the two sets of rails and lift up.

Cheers,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: