Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Graphic advice for the flash-ignorant.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANDRE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey y'all. First bear in mind that I am a TLR kind of guy and have never used flash. Don't worry about insulting my intellegence, because it doesn't exist anyway. But I have a serious question for you.

I recently aquired a nice Super Graphic, but without any flash accessories. Someday I might want to use one, but I don't really know a thing about the subject of flash. If this were a Speed or a Crown, I would be considering a traditional bulb-popping battery case and reflector. (That is if the Space Cadet Fantasy Warriors haven't succeeded in destroying them all to build their toys.) But it's a Super, circa 1962, and wouldn't look too inapropriate with a more modern electronic flash unit on some sort of handle/battery case.

So how do I go about it? What commonly available gear is out there that I can use?
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flash synch comes from your shutter. Hopefully it has an 'X' setting or may just be only X-synched.

You have two options for connecting a chord between the camera and flash.

You can connect directly from the shutter to flash.
You can connect from camera body to flash.

To connect tot he shutter, the shutter has to have a flash connectiong available. Then you have to get a proper sych cable. This depends on what type of connector you have on the shutter.

To connect tot he body, the lens board must be a special Super board that has the electrical connections between the shutter and camera body. Then you need the special body synch cord. I don't recommend trying to use an original cord as the insulation becomes very brittle and undependable. paramount makes new cords and you can easily make one yourself.

For the flash, you can use anything really. In the 60's, most people were still using bulbs. Late 60' into the 70's and they moved over to electronic. If you want to side mount the falsh as it would be originally, you can find an original Fraflex electronic flash like the 250 or 500. Or you can find one of the old handle flashes that had a 1 1/2 inch handle. This is the only size that will fit the Graflex flash clamps.

I would recommend you do a search here for "super flash" (all words) to see what's already been discussed. And you can supply some more detailed info like what type of lens/shutter you have and whether or not it's in a Super board.

Good luck with it. great camera.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: