Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendations for a 4x5 enlarger?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emil Zelasko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I have an opportunity to purchase a Beseler 45MXT enlarger w/ 3 lenses. I have been also looking at the Omega D2.

Curious if someone could advise the best choice (or pros and cons) between these two particular systems.

Thanks very much!!!

Emil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bessler won't need different condensers when you switch formats, and won't need those 'conehead' lensboards that the D2 requires for long lenses.
I use a D2 myself, but I paid $15 for it at a yard sale. If I were buying new, I'd buy the Bessler.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Beseler 23CII and once long ago had the use of a Beseler 45 (motorized), a positive experience that in fact led me to purchase the 23. I'd buy the Beseler. Also I believe they are still in business, which means that parts and accessories should be available---can anyone confirm this?

Can't speak to the Omega as I've never used one.

Disclaimer: I used the 23 for 35mm work, and just a few sessions of 2x3 before going to digital processing. I have no LF experience in the darkroom.
disemjg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Omega is a D2-V, then it will also not need separate condensers for each format. A plain D2 will. They both do a good job, but used things such as carriers seem to be more plentiful for the Omegas. The carriers are also available for both new (for the time being) but are pricy. Buy whichever outfit you find that is as complete as possible, with extra lenses and carriers to take care of as many formats as you can. Do not pay too much for either; they should be very reasonable.
Emil Zelasko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price for the 45mxt, with three lenses and a number of film tanks, large timer etc. is $300.

Does this sound like a reasonable price? According to the owner all is in great shape.

Thanks again.

Emil
journ2arch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the past few years I've used the big Beseler in the darkrooms in the College of Architecture at Virginia Tech. They are great machines; at $300, it's a steal. A new one would cost you more than $1,000, I think.

Tessar47

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an older Omega D2, without the variable condenser. It is pretty tedious changing out the condensers and cones (If you only own one lens mounting flange like me, then you'll have to switch it between cones!) If you shoot mainly 1 format or focal length, then it's a great, rugged piece of equipment. Condensers and negative carriers are not expensive (at least they weren't a couple of years ago). I'll hang onto mine, but the variable condenser model is probably a good idea. As I said in another forum, I made some 16X20 prints last year from a 4X5 negative, and I'm very pleased with the results!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: