Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto Graflex Handle Replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
camz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience removing the
rivets which secure the carry handle on an Auto
Graflex? Do you grind them down to remove them? What do you do for replacements?
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnect the view hood from the view door.
Using a Dremel (variable speed best) equiped with a #402 mandrel and either a #409 cut-off wheel or a #420 heavy duty cut-off wheel{ http://dremel.com/HTML/home_fr.html }cut the rivet just above the backup washer on the peined end of the rivet.

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2006-01-01 21:35 ]
camz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, and then what do you do for replacement rivets? I assume you make your own replacement
handles?
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 4-40 brass screws and nuts, cut the screws to flush with the bottom of the nut when tightned. Screw-origional brass washer-handle-focus hood door-origional bras washer-nut.

Another preson on this site removes the door, drills the piened end of the rivet off, cuts brass excursion pins to length, peins them with a hammer and anvil (a punch may be needed also).

camz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this worked out very well. Thanks!
john wilton

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
Disconnect the view hood from the view door.
Using a Dremel (variable speed best) equiped with a #402 mandrel and either a #409 cut-off wheel or a #420 heavy duty cut-off wheel cut the rivet just above the backup washer on the peined end of the rivet.

After a couple of field trips one of the handle hold-down straps on my new C has quickly gone from intact to almost severed. With some trepidation I will decapitate the rivets. I imagine by turning the Dremel 90 deg in its little drill press and setting the camera on its side.

Replacement options: are the little straps buyable as spare parts? Have shoemaker (or self) fabricate? Make them from brass strip?
DHF845

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: fixing handles Reply with quote

Ask Bert Saunders. He has great plans, diagrams, etc. to replace handles, straps, or rivets on any Graflex camera ever made. You'll need a supply of extra-thick shoe leather, and pro-grade machines to cut and sew the pieces. I'm not a professional leather-worker, so I went to a shop that makes seats and saddle-bags for bikers (the Harley riders, not tour-de-france types).
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: handle replacement Reply with quote

Camz,
No need for the fancy tools, a single edge razor blade or a utility knife will suffice! I use several thickneses of tooling leather (Tandy) depending on the handle to be made....I use 1 - 1 1/2 oz to 5 - 6 oz material!....normal handles for the SLR's are made in 3 pieces! Sandpaper needed to smooth to final shape....the sewing I do only on the top layer with a standard houshold sewing machine.....because most shoe shops cannot sew anything as thick as these handles are! The straps are usually made with 2 pieces (dbl thickness), I cheat by gluing all pieces together, the sewing on the top layer makes them look authentic, and I usually use 2-56 screws with blind nuts to attach them, for easy replacement!
If requested, to be authentic, I fapricate new rivets and washers and peen them on an anvil!
Have a nice day.......Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: