Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown Graphic Rangefinder Broken.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitWit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Today I bought a Crown Graphic in excellent condition, shot a roll of film (has a 23 back) to test the rangefinder accuracy (appeared good) then as I was putting the camera through its paces and checking its movements, something got hung up as I was racking it in and out. There was a snap, and some sort of a short cam or pin with a black plastic top popped out, followed by a series of bearings and cylinders which spilled from a tube that goes up to the rangefinder. Now, obviously, I did something wrong and the rangefinder is inoperable, and I'm heart broken. I know I can use the camera as is via the ground glass, but the rangefinder was a joy to use in this format (4x5). Any suggestions for whom to contact to fix this? Is it self-reparable? Your comments and advice (positive, please! I know I'm a klutz) are appreciated.

Roger

daleraby

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this indivudual: romney@teleplex.net. He wrote the article on Kalart rangefinder adjustment on this page. He might have a suggestion or two, if not be able to help himself... but wait for other suggestions as well, there are a few here who do restoration themselves. Good Luck.

Dale
LitWit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dale.

I'll keep my alert to new replies on, and I've sent a message to the person you suggested.

Best

Roger
steve@toprinting.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your mishap.

Same thing happened to me when I first got mine. It's a helpless feeling watching those little balls and spacers falling into the grass/dirt. Mine never had a cam so the rf never worked. No loss on my end. I wanted to use the gg for scenics all the time. I filled the tube w/ 3/32" ball bearings. I've been told that it should work properly when (if) I get the proper cam. But I learned to close the camera properly after that. This has been addressed (probably mine) in the past. Someone knows the fix for you.

S. F.

CharlesC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to try the steel ball remedy, you might try http://www.steelmedia.com/index.html for a source of ball bearing balls.
LitWit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Steve and CharlesC,
Thanks both for your recent comments/suggestions. Tonight I patiently put all of the bearings/spacers back in the tube, replaced the plunger, found the cam floating around in the camera body and reinserted it, and the rangefinder seems to be working accurately and smoothly. I had been lucky in that when all the bearings/spacers fell out, I was in my home office and my carpet is industrial type, so I was able to find all those that hit the floor. I appreciate everyone's help. I'll let you know how this is working after I've had a couple of weeks to play with it.

Best
Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: