Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What a Trip!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just got back... Did ya miss me?

Why do I even mention this? Because this was the inaugural test of my "new" Super Graphic 'point & shoot" kit...

Of course the first three days were rain filled and nothing happened, photographically or otherwise...

Then, the Sun!

I outfitted myself with the Super and three Grafmatics. Off we went...

"Wow, what kind of camera is that?"
"Are you a pro, for a magazine?"
"That must be a really old camera."
"Is that a camera or a movie camera"
Smile and answer all the questions... Never know who might get re-interested down the line and join the graflex crowd...

Things to remember while vacationing with a Super P&S:

Bringing a whole set of other lenses is a waste of time.
If you pull back on the Grafmatic dark slide, you ruin a sheet of film...
You can lock the Grafmatic in place with the Graflok slides to prevent the previous film ruining...
When you run out of film, you _can_ use the Polaroid Type 55 and holder that you brought but forgot about...
You _never_ have enough film with you...
When you really need the flash, it won't fire...

Yes, I had fun

And I must have looked 'interesting' walking the full length of Lake Placid (the town, not the lake) with a fanny pack full of Grafmatics, a spot meter and a Super hung around my neck. Yes, I was using a neck strap and it worked just fantastic!

And in all seriousness, more than one lens is a waste of time. I used the 135mm and had no inclination at all the switch lenses 'Zooming' in and out was done with my feet. There were a few shots that could have been better with the 10 inch or the 90, but ya can't have everything...

I went through at least 50 sheets between the boat ride and train ride alone. Not worried about "art", just having fun taking photos with the Graphic. Not only the trial run for the Super, but also the first time I really used the Grafmatics. They performed flawlessly. Wish I could say the same for me

Right now, I have no doubts whatsoever that none of the pics will come out, I will ruin them in developing (all B&W), forgot to set the shutter or Grafmatic and that my meter was off by at least two stops And I don't really care that much. I had fun, got to talk with some interesting people, and above all got to test out the P&S kit even if I didn't change lenses...

Shooting 4x5 as with a view camera is fun and rewarding. But shooting a 4x5 like a P&S, using the rangefinder and more often than not guessing at exposure is a blast! For those with Speeds, Crowns and Supers; you really have to get out and try it. The whole process brought me back to the earliest days of shooting with an Argus C3. Okay, that's 35mm, but still a rangefinder with one lens.

Basic no-frills photography that's just plain _fun_! No tripod, no exact critical focusing on the GG, very often no exact exposure, no lens changing... Just photo-Graphic fun!

Sorry if this bores anyone, or sounds like an excited rant from a child with a new toy. But in a way, that's what it is... It's too easy to get tied up with exposure and loupes and tilts and tripods and 'art'. All the worries can easily ruin the fun of it all...

And if any of these photos do turn out (and anyone is actually interested?), I'll let you know

45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 21:23 ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier this month I returned from a trip west, where I shot in Yellowstone and the Dakota badlands with an Anny Speed. Not one person even blinked at the beast.
(And sorry Glenn, I didn't get to your neck of the woods).
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing,RichS...nothings ever a bore when you handle a Graphic,whatever size the camera.

Those that bore me are those with digital cameras who forget to read the instruction book,and still produce dreadful pictures.

You cannot fail with a Graphic,a piece of cake!
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. That's the way I prefer to shoot, though I don't always get to do it that way. Scale focus, 100 ASA, 1/30 @ f/16 with a K2 filter in bright sun with average shaows. Aperture adjustment to compensate for cloudy bright light. Lots of nap time mid day.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
RichS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You cannot fail with a Graphic,a piece of cake!"

I would have questioned that this morning... But I've just seen the first 6 negs in the tank a few minutes ago. Must be the Graphic I am happy so far!

Oddly enough, this Grafmatic was from the train ride. First neg I looked at is a shot on a curve; marsh to mountains with the train curving along the side. Nice shot on the neg, we'll see how it prints... Maybe I'll try a quick scan of a neg or two to see what happens? Oh, maybe before I do that, I'll check the focus with a loupe

Glenn, I like that nap idea I could have used one after the walk through town. Best I could do was a 20 minute sit on a bench in front of a bead store while the wife browsed... Luckily, there's a great espresso shop next door

Top, not even a 'blink'? How depressing... I'm getting to like people's comments. Although they always seem disappointed when I tell them I'm not shooting for a magazine...

Yes, I think I like my 'new' point & shoot system. Next time maybe I'll even try changing lenses

And I forgot to add to the list above that you can't focus with the rangefinder if you have your finger in front of one of the little windows... Took me a minute to figure out the rangefinder did not break

[ This Message was edited by: RichS on 2005-07-23 14:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: richs on 2005-07-23 22:29 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 21:24 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and that adds yet another one:

Once you remove the lens cap, you will forget where it is...

And I promise not to flood this with pics, but I will add this one from the train. Un-retouched, but shows non of the detail the neg holds...

Scanned from the neg at 1200dpi, but resized for your screen

Oh, and another one...

You open a brand new 25 sheet box of film. Load 3 Grafmatics. Just for the heck of it, count the remaining sheets and come up with _three_! Can't wait to find out where the other 4 sheets went

[ This Message was edited by: RichS on 2005-07-23 22:46 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 21:24 ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2005-07-23 14:46, RichS wrote:

Top, not even a 'blink'? How depressing... I'm getting to like people's comments. Although they always seem disappointed when I tell them I'm not shooting for a magazine...

Rich;
I was kind of susprised myself. I also took along a Retina IIa for family snapshots, and while using that a guy with a Leica M3 came up and struck up a conversation about using film.
At least at the WW II re-enactments most folks sort of know what the Speeder is.
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh that horizon.... The fun of shooting from a moving train, vying for a position among 20 other elbows and hoping the track is fairly smooth when you hit the release buttom

Of course that could be 'fixed' in a print. But as it is, it kind of tells it's own story. Rough terrain, rough ride, and a photographer who may be be all too level himself

But that's also the fun of seeing raw negatives. I see too many scanned finished prints from artists. They can be very intimidating to beggining photographers. I not only like to laugh at myself but like to show how things can go wrong, and sometimes even how to fix them... I have no doubt that I will include this scan on my site, untouched and un-level. Along with the one that was exposed to light when the Grafmatic was pulled away from the camera

Oh how nice it would be to wander around with a group of people who not only remember but also use old photo equipment... Maybe we should do a once-a-year Graflex gathering on some siteseeing tour? I know a nice train ride
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: