Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Side Flash Mount

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chazzy

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Technika user, and I understand that some Speed Graphics have the same e-clip flash mount on the side of the camera. Did anyone ever make an adaptor that would attach to this side mount, that has a modern accessory shoe on the top? It would be very handy for using modern shoe-mount flashes on the older hand-held 4x5s. Of course, my Technika does have one accessory shoe, but that is taken up with the viewfinder when the camera is handheld.

Thanks,

Charles
Henry Carter

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Busch and Heiland flashguns were made with e-type clamps. I have found several on e-Bay, and they can be removed and used to mount Graflite flashguns on a Technika.
Graflite

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chazzy:

The best bet for your flash set-up would be to acquire a "Rubber Battery Case Adapter" Graflex catalog #2068, which was made by the former Graflex Company of Rochester NY.

This is a black rubber cup (similar to a rubber foot for a walking cane or crutches) but in a larger diameter (of 1.5 inches with a 1/4 x 20 thread bolt protruding from the top center), you then attach this black rubber cup to the top of your choice of 1.5 inch diameter plumbing pipe (I prefer the bright chrome pipe which looks really good on a press camera as it has the look of the older bulb flash battery handles of the 40's).

You then attach an accessory flash shoe mount to the 1/4 x 20 bolt and then attach your modern shoe mount flash to the top of the tube, and as the tube is hollow you can store your flash synch cord inside it and use a black rubber plug (1.5 inch diameter) to close up the bottom of the tube.

Add a pair of the "Graflite Battery Case Clamps", Graflex catalog #2771 to the 1.5 inch diameter plumbing pipe and you have a complete handle mount system, with your choice of a modern shoe mount flash on top that you can attach to a camera that has the matching bracket for the clamps, or you can find a "Graflite L Bracket" Graflex catalog #2758 that will screw into your tripod hole and provide a bracket to attach the flash.

Sadly none of these catalog numbers are being produced by Graflex anymore (defunct, as you know), but they can be found, with some effort, at camera shows, older camera stores with "old stock" bins, or perhaps E-b*y.

Best of luck with your project.

Graflite
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: