Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grapic View II Screws

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne R. Scott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen;

I have a Graphic view II that I bought that is missing both screws in the focussing lock assembly that are labelled as part 1 in the exploded view diagram of the sevice manual. I am clueless as the the size and thread of these screws. If I had one of them I have a machinist friend who could probably manufacture them, but, alas I do not have even one. Any ideas on the thread size or a source for replacement screws? I kind of hate having to buy a junk View for $50 just to get 2 ten cent screws, but if that is my only alternative I guess that is what I will have to do.

Cheers,

Wayne
disemjg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those really are not all that small, and should be available at the local hobby shop in the section that has small hardware for things like model airplanes. You may only be able to find capscrews, which will work but stick out above the surface of the body. I did not check the size; hopefully someone else knows. I would expect they are a common pitch. I pulled one out of my camera, and as I expected the tip is an unthreaded stud that retains the geared shaft of the focusing knob, so they are not plain screws.

If you do have a machinist friend, take the camera to them and have them fish around in their hardware bin for an appropriate screw. Be sure to explain that you need to have the tip turned down to serve as the retaining stud.
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was no fun at all... Trying to get that screw back in is just a joy

Anyway, yes it's a standard 8-32 thread. But as disemjg says, it needs the stud part at the end to lock the tube inside. If you found a brass one, it would be easy to file the threads off the tip... I'm not sure I would trust a brass screw in this application! Go for steel and file/machine the tip down to size...

And good luck!
disemjg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne:

They will not be hard to make. Go to the hobby store or hardware store and get a bag of the screws. select screws that are about an inch long, so you can chuck them up in your drill. If your are lucky, you have a drill press or lathe. if not, use your regular electric drill and a file with a live edge. Have someone else hold the drill down on the edge of the bench. Use the edge of the file to kill the threads to make the stud, watching the diameter of the stud. Use a wire brush to clean up the threads while the screw is still in the drill. Cut it off with a hacksaw and deburr the point.

You may have to work out the dimensions by trial and error. Check for binding of the focusing knob, which indicates that the screw is too long and is pushing on the shaft instead of riding freely in the groove that locates the shaft.

And remember that if you are working with capscrews, they are usually hard steel. Plenty strong but somewhat slower to cut down.
Wayne R. Scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. I'll head to the hobby shop and look for some 8-32 screws and do some filing in the next week. (I really wanted to buy another camera though).

Wayne
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne,

Ya gotta be careful about those "parts cameras"! Two of my best GVII's started out as parts cameras

I bought one for the srews and one for the bellows. They both turned out so complete and in good shape that I now have four of them (or is it 5?), and _still_ looking for a 'parts camera'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: