Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

graflex flash tyro

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Milne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2001 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I know nothing about the various flashes which come with Graflex,so please excuse me if these seem like stupid questions. I bought a speed graphic camera about a year ago. It came with a Heiland flash. This looks like it takes bulbs with a BIG stem. It also had a Kodak flasholder model B and some PH5 bulbs which looklike they fit it. All of the above are in ace condition, except that I look like I'm missing a few cables. Can anyone suggest which are the right bulbs for the Heiland? Are they available (I expect they are on Ebay for a patient man. The Kodak flash cable seems to end in a funny little bayonet fitting. Whatshould I be looking for after that? And ifI were to buy a big modern flash, is there one suitable, preferably that I could use with my Rolleiflex T and Mamiya 330F. I know this looks like a lot of questions in a short space and wouldlike to thank in advance anyone who troubles to reply. John Milne, Colchester Essex
John Milne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2001 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should haveadded, is there asource for the cablesfor the Kodak? And how about acable to connect an electronic flash to the Graflex?
jdman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you really covered a lot of ground, but here is a start. The 20milsec bulbs for with the big base are #11 and 22. They are very expensive. The Heiland flash should have a shutter connection called HH Household type plug. The other end would be what is presently on your shutter. It is probably bi-post, but could be PC, or even bayonet. You then need to know if your shutter has M-X sync if you intend to use Strobe. If you intend to use flashbulbs I would use #25 or #5s but you would have to get another reflector head for your Heiland. I believe Sun makes a pretty powerful medium priced strobe that could be adapted to most any camera. Lastly the best place for sync cords is Paramont Cords. Russ
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.. I want to add a little to Russ's comments. If you want to shoot color be sure and buy blue flashbulbs with the letter 'b' after the number or you can use a filter for color balance. I own the Heiland Flashes and the Graflite Flashes and there just doesn't seem to be too much difference in their operation. Most or all cable connections and instructions of Graflite Flash can be used with the Heiland. The following link should answer many of your questions.
Link to Graflite Instruction Manual and Graflite Brochure At the web site click 'Graflex Directory of Instruction Manuals' Link. Okay, eBay has a service called 'save this search' and they will notify you by email when your search item(s) are listed. Then all you have to do is sit back and wait. Good Luck, Harry
John Milne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the responses. The html page you refer to certainly seems to cover it
Texas Ed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Honeywell Strobonars intended to replace the bulb flashes for "press" cameras are an option if you have x sync. A "patient person" can find a number of 700 and 800 series Strobonars (GN 160 for the 7/800, 770/880 - unsure about the rest of these series) come up on e-Bay. I'd recommend some research on these strobes before buying.

Also, occasionally a flash such as the Sunpak 611 (GN 160) can be had at reasonable prices. Being more modern, it has more accessories readily available. Both the Strobonars and the big Sunpaks can operate on household connection sync cords (though the Sunpak has a proprietary 3 blade connection, the 3d blade is only to prevent some fool plugging it into a wall outlet. The 2 hh blades are the actual contacts and the strobe will work with a 2 blade household cord).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: